Thread: What materials to use for large salt flies?

Default What materials to use for large salt flies?

What types of materials are you guys using to tie large billfish flies ? Most of the materials I have seen locally (very limited in our area) don't look like they would cast worth beans without fowling badly or hold up well. I'm stumped.

Thanks Mark

BIG Materials!

Mark, have you looked for any big saltwater saddles or schlapen? I have seen a lot more big billfish flies tied with feathers than fur.

Jay

Jay
    I've got some saddles but the feathers are a little short. I'll look at schlapen.

Carl
    I would love to see some pictures of your flies. Thanks for the offer.

Mark

Mark,

For Billfish flies, I use LONG bucktail mixed in with some synthetic wig hair or slinky fiber. Most synthetic will foul around a stinger hook even if you tie on a veil of bucktail. I've tied 1,000's of BF flies for the Blue water trips that Trey Combs use to run. I've also tied a bunch for the boys fishing the Cabo area and Guatamala
    I don't know if you live close but this coming weekend at Kiene's fly fair, I will be tying up a Marlin fly and will also be displayng a Pink Lady Sea Habit.

Jay

Jay M
    Thanks for the info and I sure wish I could make it to Kiene's fly fair, but it's a 5 1/2 hr drive South for me.

Carl
    Those flies look to pretty to fish with and thanks a lot for the help. I may send you an email after I've studied the pictures of your flies a bit.

Mark

Mark

I was looking at the material on this site http://www.bearsden.com/page0.html Looks intersting!

J

Default Schlappen....

Mark,.... Yesterday, I found some Schlappen at a local bait shop that carries some fly materials. These Schlappen feathers are all 12" to 14" in length. They're from Whiting Farms.

The shop didn't carry a wide variety of colors but did have enough to give me the idea that all of the saltwater colors are available from Whiting.

try: www.whitingfarms.com

I'm ready to go today!!!!
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown