Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clouser Critique Wanted

I have been tying with EC jig hooks based on recommendations from Dan Blantons board. I am also using the Loon red fly paint to make beads behind the eyes ala Jay M. These look great. I notice from a photo that Jay puts his flash on top (when the hook is turned over). Can you comment on that Jay? I put my flash in the middle and tie many flashtail style but using krystal flash instead of flashabou. Comments? I have also been using slinky fiber, flash and blend instead of bucktail, since I think it holds up better to toothy fish. On my recent Belize trip, we caught more fish on clousers than anything else. The best were the ones that got sparser and sparser as we caught more fish and lost more of the slinky or bucktail. I anchor the flash like Jay wrote about in a tying article. At the end of the day some of the best flies were just a few stands of slinky and lots of krystal flash.

FishEye,

The krystal flash I apply to the top of the clousers is there mainly for looks and a little attraction. I don't add alot of flash to my personnal flies but my commerical flys - I do. I also tie them alot heavier (with material) so the fisherman can thin out the fly if they need to. That's one of the reason I carry a pair of taperinzing scissors. I working on an article for Fly Fishing in Salt Water magzine on tapering flies that are tied with alot of material. Tying in a massive amout of materials can effect the motion of the fly. For my flash tails, I'm using Mirage Flashabou. The FT is also tapered cut.
    I like using natural materials whenever possible. Naturals, especially bucktail give you better movement in the water. I have also found out the synthetics like fish hair, slinky fiber, polar fiber has a tendency to tangle and foul in the hook point, especially on tandem hook rigs. Even with a collar of bucktail on the stinger hook.

Speaking of sparser flies, look at the original clouser that Bob Clouser tied for small mouth. It had very little material.

I'm getting some 30 degree jig hooks in shortly. This is definitly has a wider gap and longer shank than the EC hook.

Jay

Default Jig hooks....

Hi Jay,..... I've tied with both hooks and realize the hook rides point up both ways. Just guessing here, but I believe that the jig hook performs better in water choked with branches, etc., as the bend at the eye of the hook tends to force the back end or bend of the hook upwards when it bumps into a branch and bounces overthe obstacles. It probably does, anyway but I think the jig hook bounce is more pronounced.

I've heard that others use a circle hook to avoid snags, as well. How about developing a Jig hook using a circle poit design....

Hmmm, after re-reading this post, I think I've got a case of the bends.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Matt, I think your Clouser looks great! You've probably noticed that there's a lot of personal preferences when it comes to Clousers (and many other patterns for that matter). I prefer to sandwich my flash material between the layers of bucktail, like you did. I also prefer to use a thread color that matches the color of the bucktail that ends up on top -- in other words, olive thread on the one you tied, although it probably makes no difference whatsoever as far as the fish are concerned. I also prefer mine tied sparsely, like yours, as I believe it provides better movement of the fly underwater. Lastly, I try to match the length of the Clouser to the size of hook used -- in other words, I give longer Clousers bigger hooks. Something else to consider, anyway. Again, very nice tie!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Thanks for all the feedback. Here is my second. I changed the length of green. I intentionally made it short on the first fly, but it makes sense that it should be longer ... I wasnt thinking about what it was representing. I also tied the white bucktail farther back on this one.

I was actually going for the sparse look ... from everything I have read that is the way to go. I also added a red collar.

Hey David,
    I saw this quote of yours and was wondering what the theory behind this was.

I've been dubbing (over the thread wraps , directly behind the lead eyes) a small amount of red flashabou dubbing , sometimes w/ a little pearl flashabou dubbing mixed in , for the past 6 years or so ..... Only on the 'baitfish' colored Clousers I tye .

It holds up fine IF you coat the wraps w/ some flexament just before pinch-dubbing the flash onto the wraps . I don't use this 'gill-collar' on Chartruse or Black Clousers
    Do you know what size diameter the 1/32oz eyes are? Everywhere I see measures them in diameter and not weight. Also, does anyone have a clue where I can get the EC 413 in San Francisco area? I made some calls and I cant find any. I was trying to get them in time to tye for this weekend?...

I am fishing a pond on a ranch in Dunnigan ... I have never been there before, but I am looking forward to it. I was planning on going on Saturday. Do you guys think the rain will be bad?

Thanks to Jay for the bucktail.

Thanks for the good words from everyone

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Frey

Hey David,
    I saw this quote of yours and was wondering what the theory behind this was.

I've been dubbing (over the thread wraps , directly behind the lead eyes) a small amount of red flashabou dubbing , sometimes w/ a little pearl flashabou dubbing mixed in , for the past 6 years or so ..... Only on the 'baitfish' colored Clousers I tye .

It holds up fine IF you coat the wraps w/ some flexament just before pinch-dubbing the flash onto the wraps . I don't use this 'gill-collar' on Chartruse or Black Clousers
    Matt -

Little fish gills . Just a hint of life is all it takes sometimes ....

Re-PM me your addy (yeah .... I'd lose my ____ if it wasn't attached ) and I'll send some down in time for your trip .

(Some will be 'working' flies - things that have already been eaten . I've had a few tonight and am in no mood to tye ....)

Hope you smoke 'em !!

David

Thanks David.

I got that they were gills, but what I was wondering is why you dont use the collar on the chartreuse and black ones ??? I figured you had some theory. Also, what is the diameter on those eyes?

Thanks YOU rock.
    Matt

Hmmmmm .....

Let's see - 5/32 are 1/50 oz. (I think ...) , so 6/32 (3/16) should be 1/36 oz. . I use 1/50 oz. on size 6 hooks , 1/36 oz. on #2s , and so on .

Or something like that .

I don't see many baitfish that are black , or chart/white , so I don't bother w/ gills and such on those flies . I doubt it would hurt the 'fish-appeal' , though ....

EC 413 #2 are at most flyshops (pinch down the barbs and hone them .... don't ask why ) - try San Jose , or call Kienes and tell them I said to send you a box . I'm sending a small packet of gill dubbing w/ the flies . The wife will mail them tomorrow from SF .

I hope you get BLACK THUMBS this weekend

David

Matt

Your fly looks perfect! I think under the right conditions, with a variety of sizes, you could catch almost any game fish that swimms with this fly....thanks Bob Clouser!!!

Here is my rendition of the char/white on the tiemco 811S

Default Clousers....!!!

Matt,.... Look closely at Jbirds Clouser. Note the length of the hook shank and gap of the hook in relation to the flies overall size. Now compare that with the photo of yours.... The proportion was what I was referring to in my original post about using a hook with a slightly longer shank. Jbird's fly is about the same proportion that I try to make.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown