Thread: An interesting experiment

Default An interesting experiment

Hey all,

My wife came home from the craft store the other day and presented me with a bag of 100 glow in the dark plastic beads for .99. As I was in the middle of tying a few new wooly buggers for my next trip to the pond I added a few beads to the heads for fun.

Now this pond is great fun as the bass don't see many people and it is always good for some bass albeit only 12-14 inches. So I fished with my glow buggers and to my amazement it seemed to be the hot fly. My buddy fished with plastic worms, and I started out with a standard wooly bugger. By the end my buddy caught 4 I caught 5 with a standard bugger and 18 with the glow bugger. The water was a little cloudy and bass were congregated on the NW side of the lake about 1-2 foot visibility.

Question has anybody tried glow beads and do you think it was the glow or do you think the added weight imparted more action. Anyways it was a fun experiment. I will tie some more and try them on a bigger lake next time.....Craig.
    "If one really loves nature, one can find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh

Default Glo in the Dark....

Hmmmm,.... I guess we'll have to expand the name Glo Bug to include Glow Bugger....

Seriously, tho. I'll be following your endevours here. You just might've stumbled onto something. How about some additional info on the Bugger What color was the succesfull bead(s). Was the fly body weghted in addition to the bead What size hook, etc.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian,

I will post some more information and a photo (even though I am not the best tyer). I am tying a few tonight as mon. at lunchtime is my escape from work for an hour. For now I can tell you I did add a few light wraps of lead to get the bugger to sink as I am using floating line. I will check on hook size when I get home. I am thinking of tying some with just a bead and some with the glow bead as to make a fair experiment.... Craig.

O.K. I was wrong about the beads there were 450 for $1.99. They are pretty big so when I tied them I just left a space. Again not the greatest tyer but here goes. size 2 long shanked hook.A few wraps of lead just to get it started sinking(colors could vary and I am red/green color blind so they do .

Too windy to try it this monday but next monday look out....Craig.