Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to try when the reports say "Senko"

Default What to try when the reports say "Senko"

Because I am new to this "warmwater" fly fishing suff I have no idea what to use when I get to a lake and they say the bite is great on plastic worms. Anybody have any patterns to suggest? I definately can try wooley buggers and minnow imitations and wait for topwater but just trying to figure out a searching worm pattern to gain some more confidence..Thanks, Craig.
    "If one really loves nature, one can find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh

Craig

Try a fly tied with a long rabbit strip in black, burgandy or chartuese. Add a little flash, with a conehead so it swims like a jig.

Jay

Default Plastic Worms...

How about a Senko pattern Go over to the darkside for a little action.

May the force be with you
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Stick with your Clousers and other sub-surface minnow patterns. I also like Jay's idea of trying a long rabbit strip coneheaded fly -- a lot of gear guys experience great jig fishing in the early spring while the water's still cool.

Unfortunately, I do not believe it is possible to create a Senko at the vise. Oh sure, it's possible to use giant chenille and what-not to create a pattern that kind of LOOKS like a Senko while sitting on top of a table. But I do not believe it is possible to create a fly pattern that comes close to simulating how a weightless Senko behaves (its magic) once it hits the water. Too bad really.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Why would you want to immi a lure? Why not better immi what the lure immi's?
    ....lee s.

A 'turd '( senko) is a 'dead' bait .

Bass eat them when they are NOT in the mood to chase things (negative or neutral mood) - try this ....

Take an EC413 in size #2 , put a tungsten bead or small cone on the shank up to the part where the hook eye bends up - then , tye a bushy , flashy Bugger . Fish it by throwing it out and doing nothing .

Whack that sucker out (dry line and 12 foot leader) , let it sink . Pay close attention to the line/leader junction ..... if it twitches/jumps , set hard . After letting it sit for 30 seconds to two minutes ...... pull the line about 6 inches , follow with another long pause .

It's a pretty slow way to fish ..... but sometimes , that's what they want .

David

Default Senko Pattern....

HUH Wha'd 'e say

Actually, the suggestion was meant to use a Senko not tying a fly that looks like a one.....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Re: Senko Pattern....

Quote Originally Posted by Darian
    HUH Wha'd 'e say

Actually, the suggestion was meant to use a Senko not tying a fly that looks like a one.....

Ohhhhh , Darian - the fly doesn't look anything like a turd , it just fishes like one !

Have you been out yet ?? It was good up until last week .....

David

Default Fishin'....

Nope,....Haven't been out for awhile. Been trying to get over a bad cold without much luck.... Seems like every time I start feeling good and begin exercising again, it comes back. Anyway, I'm goin' fishin' somewhere this week, regardless.... There's Striperzzzzz out there.

Author unknown

I've created or should I say I'm in the process of refining my version of the SENKO. I'm using synthetic wig hair that's already braided and some that are stranded. On the first version, I used Softex. It dried to hard but was still flexible. Now I'm trying out the GE Silicon II.

I"m using the Gamakatsu B10S in 2/0 and I also add a tungsten cone head. So far, I have a purple with a chartreuse tip, all black and a lime green.

All of the "worm" are rolled in glitter to give the shiney look and to make the ribbing sections, I use a sushi matt.

As soon as I'm satisfied with the product, I'll post a photo or maybe I'll tie this at Kiene's Fly Fair in April

Jay