Thread: An Idea

Default An Idea

Here's a photo of an idea I came up with this morning as I was sitting here looking at all the evazote foam I was going to throw out.
    As I sat watching the bass boys fish with the worms, the idea popped into my head that the foam could be used as a weed guard.
    I took a thin piece of foam, cut it into a triangle shape. Tied in the thin portion at the eye of the hook and the wide portion goes over the point.
    Sort of like a worm covering the hook point.

Tried it at the lake in some thin grass and didn't have any problems with hang ups or coming off the point. Going fishing tomorrow on a private ranch and will try it out in some heavier cover.

Don't know if anyone has done this - I know it can't be new.

Jay

Sent this reply before, but didn't see it posted.
    Interesting concept. Did the foam cause the fly to flip over?
    T.

Default Evazote Weedguard.....

That is innovative. Ued with a fly that's tied in the round, so to speak, it wouldn't matter if the fly rolled over. If it did roll, the hook would ride point up. Not sure I like the colorless (white) material, tho. How about coloring the evazote with a ink/pen

Jay,.... I'm looking forward to your report.

BTW, the flies came in today. Can't wait to use 'em.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Terry,

The fly rides the correct way. I have some lead wraps under the material.

Darian,

I have 14 Pantone markers with me. All I had was white and I was just curious how the material would work. If the bass can bust that heavy bristle brush on the jigs, the skinny foam shouldn't be a problem.

I'll post the report

Jay

Nice idea Jay.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

The original evazote weed guard played to many games with me. Sometimes it wanted to float and then sometimes it sank. I have modified the evazote weed guard to a different shape and length. I'm also compressing it (smashing it flat) to help avoid floatation. The tungsten cone heads pull it down but lead wraps make the fly semi sinking. I think the newer style will work better.
    I doesn't have any problem going through the weeds and it does colaspe when a fish hits it.

I'll post photo's of the newer version

Jay

Default Weedless Hook

I ran across these hooks down at fishman warehouse (Gamakatsu finesse w.g weedless #230909), the shank was a little short for me to tie a full body fly but the ideal of putting a plastic weed gard on a good hook got me thinking. I made one out of 25 lbs test fluorocarbon and it worked. Now if i could only market something like that, i could fish everyday in style. I have some pictures of the fly, and the hook but i don't know how to post a picture. fishon Gene Goss

Gene,

I"ve been using some Gamakatsu hooks with long shanks and wire weed guards. I'm tying up some big flies to try out in the rocks down in Baja.
    When were you guys going to Baja this year? Hope you guys slam the Dorado

Jay

I will be the luggage boy for Susan, she book us for Europe this spring for 3 weeks. Baja going have to wait till next year for me.