Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tidepool/Rockfishing

What was the "bug"?

Default "Bugs"

"Bug" is the short name for Lobsters.... MMM, MMM, GOOD!!! Viewed face to face and up close, they kinda look like a big ol' spider if you've never seen one that way before.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Big Lagoon..... Awesome coastal cutts and LL steelies.

Really...I've heard about the big cutts in there but have only personally caught small ones on spinners....

What did you use over there? I'll be there at least 5 times over summer so it would be nice to know a really good fly to take in some of those cutts.

Also, is there a specific area you fish the Big Lagoon?

We did fair on #10 dark green/olive chiuauas. A friend is sometimes successful targeting LL spent steelies useing brown/olive woolybuggers off the dune.

Default Palos Verdes Tide Pools...

Darian,

New member to the board here... I was looking thru this forum for ideas about places to fish the salt in Marin.... but I read this post and it has me thinking closer to home.

I live in Palos Verdes in SoCal, and have wondered for a while if A) there was anything to catch in the rocky tidepool areas that encomapss PV, and b) if it was possible to do so with a flyrod. To date, I've FFed only the sandy beaches. I did try Abalone cove a few times, but I stayed only in the sandy parts.

So a few Q's for you:
    * Can you recommend any particular PV coves/trails/pools you think would be conducive to FF? I'm relatively new to PV (only 3 yrs there) and I haven't had time to explore the wealth of trails it has. And since you don't live here any more, i wouldn't be poaching any of your spots .
    * The type of rigging / setup you'd recommend for FF those areas. I read the entire post here and it gives great ideas (thanks Ken, Jay, et al). It seems like a 7/8wt, floating line, straight strong leader are the ticket... any changes you'd make for PV?
    * Patterns/Sizes... Some of the species you listed have fairly small mouths (i think), so I'd think size 6-10 is probably in order... agree? Weighted flies? Crab/shrimp/baitfish immitations?
    * Tactics... you said most of the fish you caught on bait were high in the H2O column... would you fish a fly the same way? That would certainly keep it out the inevitable snags.

Sorry for the laundry list... I know I'm asking for a lot of info.... I appreciate any help you are willing to give. Either way, I am going to get out there and experiment... that's the best way to learn. Thanks for the idea.

-Jeff W.

Default Palos Verdes....

Hi Jeff,.... I'm happy to hear someone is still interested in fishing off the rocks down there. I'm sure alot of the info I can pass along is dated as the last time I fished there was in the late '60s. Access to the places I fished is certainly limited by developments/gates, etc. I'll try to answer your questions and maybe Brad Blancett will chime in to fill the gaps. Remember, I was bait fishing down there in those days.

Baits ranged from Mussels, Shrimp and frozen green peas, to name a few. I'm sure Sand Crabs would've worked in the sandy beaches or areas of coves. That should give you an idea of the size hooks to use. I'd say any surf fly pattern will work off the rocks in sizes 10 thru 6. Make sure your choice of colors include a green (shaded to match the color of Eel Grass).

My spinning rig included a float with around 6' of leader below, a swivel (for the weight) and a snelled hook/leader sized 8 - 6. So, I'd recommend a floating or intermediate line with a 6' straight, flourocarbon leader. A shooting head isn't necessary as casts were never very long but would allow an easy change if desired.

Not sure if or what type of retrieve is necessary as my float was not retrieved after being cast unless I had detected a bite. I imagine the surge will take care of that part and will assist (in some measure) in line management. Be sure to use a stripping basket.

Rod weights could vary between 6 thru 8.

I can't recall the trails anymore, but always looked for coves that had a rocky point on either end and then would fish of those points on an incoming tide. There are a couple of those points on either side of Rocky Point, itself. Another was just south of malaga Cove where a large, flat rocky point povided some very good fishing but involved a very exciting, precarious descent down a ridge with a sheer drop-off of arounf 150' on one side. I always had a sense of accomplishment after a day at that cove. Yet another cove was located near the acquarium and could be accessed thru their parking lot. Much easier access/egress. Sorry I can't be more specific but my memory isn't that good. Poaching isn't a concern. If the fishing is as good now as it was then, I sure wouldn't complain about having company on that type of trip.

Almost all of the fish we caught were taken well above the bottom. My buddies and I caught Opaleye Perch, Catalina Blues, Buttermouth Perch, Kelp Fish and even Cabezone. With the exception of Cabezone, all of those species have small mouth's and weighed as much as 5 pounds. All of those fish were strong and, to avoid tangles of line/rocks, should be played from the reel.

Wish I was going to try this with you. Good luck
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default More Stuff....

Jeff,.... Was thinking about how much fun that kind of fishing was and thought of some things I used to do to bring the fish in close (as none were caught in tidepools). As I mentioned earlier, casts were not very long (30' - 40'. The fish were located in and around kelp fronds or rocks but sometimes would be uninterested early on. I used to chop up some (a handfull) of whatever bait I was using and toss it (chum) into a clear area to avoid snagging my rig. Worked every time. Believe it or not, one of the best baits I used was frozen green peas. Take a package with you, open and dump 'em into a small pool to thaw 'em out a little. Then take a handfull and throw 'em into the water. Cast right into that area and watch out.

How about tying an Eel Grass colored glo bug or cluster pattern on a size 6 hook Something to try.

Author unknown

Darian,

Does it really count as "fly" fishing when you're fishing with immitation vegetables after chumming??!!?? I'm sure some purists (i.e., not me) are sneering at your idea.

I was going to give this a try today, but its still a bit windy after this last storm. Maybe tomorrow. I've been checking out maps online and based on your recommendations, I've got a few places I'm going to try. Let me know if these spots look familiar:
    1) Point south of Malaga Cove
    2) Rocky Point
    3) Resort Point

BTW - I thought Glo Bug yarn was only available in fluorescent / egg colors, but in checking their website, they do offer "emerald" and "avacado"... Maybe somebody's had your idea before.

Thanks again for your help.
    -Jeff

Default Tide Pools/Rocks!!!

I suppose a purist might sneer about chummin' or usin' vegetables as a model for flies but if it catches fish I really don't much care.... To each his/her own. They just don't know what they're missin'.

Not familiar with the links you provided. Was unable to use them to look at images.

I think any cove that has rocky points on each side and kelp is gonna be good. Try to fish thru high tides to whenever the bite stops.

Author unknown