Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tidepool/Rockfishing

Default Tidepool/Rockfishing

I was wondering if people fly fish in tidepools or real calm rocky areas for larger sculpin, greenling or bass? It sounds like fun and I know alot of places that I go to somewhat often that have healthy greenling populations pretty close to shore, but all i've caught them is squid pieces. Any info on how to go about it would be great. Thanks.

I've done it a couple of times with an integrated sink tip on a 7- or 8-wt. If you do try it for the first time, I'd recommend fishing with a previously used, beat-up shooting head or sink tip (cracked/peeled coating & all) since the line will probably be repeatedly dragged over rocks & sharp ledges. No use sacrificing new or pristine line in case the head gets wrapped around a submerged rock or jammed in a rocky crevice.

Maybe others on the board with more experience in fishing the tidal pools & rocky inshore can chime in & offer you guidance. If you eventually try it, let us know how it goes. Good luck!

- Mark
    Did you wet your noodle today?

Thanks. I will have to go on ebay and buy a cheap line before going out there.

I use a floating line. Leader less than 6 feet. Mostly work shrimp and crab patterns... BUT I also use flies that imitate gobies and blennies (small fish). Think lean profiles. Dave Whitlock's 'lectric eel worm (purple) has been a solid producer for me. Had many a tussel with monkey-faced eels on that fly. I never did land one!
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

When I lived on the coast, I use to fish the tide pools all the time. The areas I would cover was the rocky shore line around Pacific Grove/Asilomar area. The Carmel coast line, south.

My technique was a short leader, straight 12 or 15lb. A 9' 7 or 8 wt rod and a floating line. My flies ranged from wooly buggers, small shrimp patterns and a float crab - sort of like a merkin. I made the crab out of foam glued together. Today, you can purchase the crab body materials that Spirit River puts out.
    I would cast the fly to the surging portion of the wave and let the outgoing take it back out through all the rocks, weeds and sandy bottoms. Then I would strip back in short pulls. I have caught many rainbow perch, black perch, rubber lips and hooked into quite a few monkey face eels but like Ken, I've never landed one. I have looked eye to eye at them tucked back into the rocks wonder in if I should stick my hand in there to retrieve the fly.
    One thing, actually two things: I would recommend taking a stripping basket with you because the incoming and outgoing surge can be hectic on the fly line. The second thing is wear a good pair of shoes that won't slip on the "slippery as snot" rocks. There were many times I was looking up at the sky.

Be careful and watch the waves

Jay

Default Tide Pools/Rocks!!!

Yeah!!!!.... This topic brings back some good old memories about fishing in tide pools and off Rocky headlands/points at Palos Verdes in SoCal. In those days, I didn't have any idea in those days that fly fishing would've caught fish in the rocky areas.... We used a 6' spin outfit with 8# lines, a float, small snap swivel (for weight) and a hook/leader. Bait was whatever we found. We caught Catalina Blue's, Opaleye & Buttermouth Perch and a few Cabezon. Makes a real chore climbing back up a steep, cliff side trail with a 30# sack of fish and all the gear on your back....

The point of this was that I believe I could've caught a bunch more of those fish with a fly. They were all caught high in the water column (even the Cabezon). Not sure I could make it DOWN those cliffs, now.... Let alone hike back up.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hey Darian,

That's what Fire & Rescue's for. Who know's ya might even make it on TV.

Jay

Hey that is awesome guys. I'm glad to hear that it is done! My g/f has an oceanside cabin up in Humboldt right by Big Lagoon on Agate Beach. The surf fishing would be terrible there because of crazy rips and dangerous surf...but the rocks on the other side of the beach are nice and calm and I've caught a few greenling around there on squid. I will have to tie my own cheapo crab/shrimp/goby imitations to save money because I know I'll be losing alot on those nasty rocks. I really hope I hook into an eel, that would be really cool! Thanks for all of the info I'm going to put it to good use.

Default Re: Tide Pools/Rocks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darian
    Yeah!!!!.... This topic brings back some good old memories about fishing in tide pools and off Rocky headlands/points at Palos Verdes in SoCal. In those days, I didn't have any idea in those days that fly fishing would've caught fish in the rocky areas.... We used a 6' spin outfit with 8# lines, a float, small snap swivel (for weight) and a hook/leader. Bait was whatever we found. We caught Catalina Blue's, Opaleye & Buttermouth Perch and a few Cabezon. Makes a real chore climbing back up a steep, cliff side trail with a 30# sack of fish and all the gear on your back....

The point of this was that I believe I could've caught a bunch more of those fish with a fly. They were all caught high in the water column (even the Cabezon). Not sure I could make it DOWN those cliffs, now.... Let alone hike back up.
    Darian that is one my my old stompimg grounds. Man do I remember Cardiac Hill it gets even tougher with Dive Gear. Only made that climb one time with the dive gear. Great fishing back then and ok to good fishing now.

Default Palos Verdes

Brad,.... My Dad initiated me into that fishing when I was old enough to make it down/up the rails on my own. I've fished almost every cove from the old Sea Acquarium north to Malaga Cove at one time or another. Some of those trails were scary steep. I, also, recall a cave in the wall of the cliff under the aquarium where you could observe some ancient earthquake slippage ("slickensides"). It must've been massive, too. The observable area of the slippage was approximately 20' in length.

That cove is where I saw my first "bug" under water at about age 13. I was snorkeling and swam over the top of a rock to come face tp face with what I thought was a monster from outer space. Nearly jumped straight up out of the water. By the time I recovered, the "bug" was gone.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown