Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The jurgler prototype, a weedless up-side-down bass bug

Default The jurgler prototype, a weedless up-side-down bass bug

I tested my jurgler and it is REALLY weedless. I dragged it through some of the grossest stuff I've ever cast into without even a whisp of weed on it after a dozen casts. It rides up over weed and mat and just slides effortlessly along.

Not only that, it's practically weightless, and casts really easily. Something not all poppers do.

I'm not the greatest tier and I'm hoping that some LMB guy will take a look, try this and maybe even make it better. It only takes a few minutes to tie so if you don't like it you haven't lost much in time.

Here's a picture of it in the water. It's bigger than it looks, after all, it IS on a 4/0 hook.

And here's a link to a down and dirty page of tying instructions. Sorry, I had a picture of the bottom of the fly but it was too blurry to publish.

http://www.deltastripers.com/jurgler.htm

I guess they call this open sourcing in the computer industry!
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Jerry, are you kidding, I think it looks GREAT! It LOOKS like a topwater bass bug but, more importantly, it fishes where most bugs fear to go. Great job!

I wonder if it might end up being necessary to shorten the length of the bucktail a tad in order to improve hook-up percentages. (Although I love the way it looks just as it is. . . .) Guess we'll need to wait for some bass to tell us, which hopefully won't be too long now. Can't wait to hear the results, as I've been very interested in hook-up-styled bugs as well for the very same reasons.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

That's an interesting fly.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Default Jurgler Bug

Your bug should work just great! It combines the advantages of the gurgler and the KD frog. Frankly, i have trouble casting some of the good looking top water creations but the jurgler looks as if even I can handle it. I'm off to the garage to give it a try.

Hey Jerry your fly seems to have all the ingredients of a great fly. The number one ingredient is it looks easy to tie.

Mark

Default Jurglerzzzzzzz.....

Jerry,.... Innovative use of common materials. Great design. Looks like you'll have to stand behind your console to tie one of those on.... I'm thinkin' I better tie up some of those, myself.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

SullyTM Guest

Capt. Jerry...A nice variation on the gurgler. Do you heat the hook before bending it?

Thanks for the step-by-step.

Later...

Hi Jerry,

Very nice looking bug, however.....

.....This design has been around for a while, and although it is somewhat weedless, my experience with this design has been very poor.
    As with your design, it is difficult to keep the foam away from the gape, and this is extremely important for LMB's. I think you will find that hooking fish will be difficult, due to the closed gape.

If you are using very soft foam it might compress enough, to get a good hook-up.

Let us know how it works for you.

$.02
    Lee

Default Hook Gap????

Jerry,.... Is the model of Eagle Claw hook used similar to a Mustad 34011 It does look like a longer shanked hook. After taking another look at the tying instructions, I see what Lee H. means about the potential for obstructing the gap. The hook point is almost in line with the initial bend in the shank.

Well, only fishing will prove whether it will be a problem. Hope it works out as good as it looks....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Jurgler

Hey Jerry
    I will tye up a few so we can help you with your study. I am sure they will catch plenty of bass. I know gurglers are hard to beat,but your fly should work well.
    It is fun playing around with this stuff.