Thread: Ahjumawi Lake State Park near Fall River- any info please!

Default Ahjumawi Lake State Park near Fall River- any info please!

Saw this on TV and looks real interesting.

Its where 4 rivers/creeks come together just north of Fall River Mills. (Fall River, Tule River, Ja-She Creek, Lava Creek) into Big Lake. A boat-in or long hike-in only state park, only 2000 people a year visit it.

Its has springs on the lake bottom. Some theories are they are from underground streams sourced in Klamath Lake.

QUESTIONS:

appreciate any input from anyone who has been there.
    1) Which campground is best- have GPS infor for all campgrounds so I can find them.
    2) Fly fishing-- sounded like to fish the springs?
    3) Mosquito problem- on review said its worst in US- the truth?
    4) Best month to go
    5) Anything else.

Have fished it, but not camped there. Find the springs and the fish are in the area. The water is crystal clear so steal is the program. Standard stillwater patterns. I would go early in the season. After the first of July is pretty hot in most years. Don't leave anything of value in the car. This is a pretty remote area without much patrol. I guess April and May would be my choices of months. It is a beautiful area in the Spring and Fall. Don't forget the "bug juice." I still think the lower Williamson has it beat for the skeeters...just my 2 cents.

Sorry, make that "stealth" and not "steal." Must have been thinking about the parking.

Fank Bertania wrote an article on the area a few years back.

Maybe in the Cal Fly Fisher magazine?

http://www.calflyfisher.com/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I've done that trip once before in the fall, just as duck hunting season was getting started. Wouldn't recommend it that time of year. Was still a good experience, but could have done without the numerous motor boats and shot gun blasts. Bugs were OK, though. Put in was near the fairgrounds in McArthur and I think I pulled in at the second set of primitive sites while paddling into the main part of Big Lake - which were fine and dandy.

I used to stay at a summer house on Eastman Lake near Lava Creek and Big Lake. We would take a boat over to Big lake and to the springs you refer to. Like was said, the water is gin clear and difficult to fish. I would use a wooly bugger and be very very stealthy!
    Access is your bigger problem. By car you park near Eastman Lake and walk through a state park near an Indian burial ground. Access by boat is a lot easier and you could bring in your camping stuff and food. Yes, mosquitos are a problem there, esp. in the evening on a hot day! Cover up with long shirts and pants, etc., and use bug juice if needed (I don't like to).
    The nearest camping, I believe, is closer to Burney - Burney Falls State Park. There is also a PG&E campground along Lake Britton off of H. 89 (used to be) not far from Burney Falls State Park.
    If you are car camping without a boat, i would suggest fishing Baum Lake in the early season with a float tube. You can also fish Hat Creek and the Pit and Castle Lake (even from shore). There is another PG&E campground (small) near Castle Lake, i believe. Finally, you can rough camp (could) along the Pit River both above and below Lake Britton near PG&E property.
    I currently have a boat near Frank's Tract and enjoy taking friends out.