Thread: Which is best pontoon boat for N Calif rivers?

Default Which is best pontoon boat for N Calif rivers?

I have been looking at online sites on various pontoon boats. Huge price difference between "top of line" Dave Scadden and Skookum steelheader and Water Skeeter models.

I like the fact that on the two more expensive models you can stand up and fish. I think that is most significant difference, and almost a must for fly fisherman. BUT, is fishing from a pontoon boat while standing a reality other than river like the lower Sacto and lakes? I do not foresee using a motor.

Is there a store in N Calif that sells more than 1 brand? If so, what and where. And any store that allows a test drive on the water?

I want to use on the Lower Sacto, maybe Upper Sacto, and the American. and ??? Not any class 4 rapids, and will probably line it through most class 3.

Any input or experience you have had will be appreciatied. I am just starting and am pretty overwhelmed with the wide range of options here.

Start shopping for a pram. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Scadden, Bucks and Outcast are the best quality.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I have owned my Scadden boat for several years. I have the older model Big Horn Drifter so I have a different standing deck and leaning bar than the newer models. I really dont like the new ones, I agree with one of the previous respones about being flimsy and akward. However I like everything about mine. Scadden is one of the few to use a bladderless system. This cuts the wight almost in half compared to others. I also like the fact that I can call Dave Scadden at the Utah factory and talk to him or some else that really knows what they are talking about. I have also recieved excellent service from them. Y ou gotta love a lifetime warranty!!I do agree that a pontoon is not a drift boat. I own a drift boat as well. They both have thier place but given the choice I would take my drift boat every time. Pontoons are a great way to learn if you are new to rowing a boat in moving water.

Chris

8' for people under 200# - considered a small boat now

9' for over 200# anglers and bigger water - average size now

10' for carrying more gear, cooler, overnight camping, taking the dog - big but safe and comfortable on big water.

You will fine that Outcast dominates the industry with quality boat.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Bladders!!!

Does the Scadden boat have divided air compartments or does bladderless mean that the air compartment is open and undivided If the latter, seems to me, that's a major safety consideration. A divided air compartment would provide some flotation even one of the compartments was punctured.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

The pontoons on the Scadden are definitely divided. I looked at the Outcast for along time. When I wieghed feature for feature and then looked at the price difference I had to go Scadden. I will give one more piece of advice, buy it at the Sportsman Expo. I saved about $800 and had a bunch of extras included. Just my opinion.

Chris

I've had a Skookum Steelheader and it is an amazing pontoon...don't know if it is fair to compare it to the Outcast, Scadden, etc. They are truly whitewater quality pontoons. Also try Googling, I think it is NRS, which is a whitewater rafting supplier, and you can buy the individual pieces (frames, pontoons, stands, etc) and should be able build one to your own specs that is as strong as a Skookum boat.

Just my two cents.