Thread: More Consumnes River Preserve

Default More Consumnes River Preserve

I believe this is the same egret i shot last time, it was the same spot at least.

And here are a couple of hawks.

bolden

Brilliant photography!!!!

Jay

Bolden I really enjoy your photo's.

Mark

Bolden beautiful shots. Your photographs are inspiring me to try and take a few bird photos again.

A couple of questions. Does your new 300 F4 have image stabilization and what are you setting your film speed at. I have a D 70 and an old Tamaron zoom 100-300 F 4- 5.6 and I tried a few at 1000 iso but I am not happy with the results yet they seem a little washed out.

If these are secrets I understand.

By the way a few years ago a member of the Consumnes River preserve asked me to do some photos for them because they had a fire and lost all their stuff. I lived a little to far away to do it but you might ask them if they are still in need as your photos are would be great. Craig.
    "If one really loves nature, one can find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh

They are definitely not secrets. It was sunny, so i was able to shoot at iso 200 the whole day. On the egrets, to
    keep from blowing out the whites, i was shooting at f/4 and 1/4000 sec. On the egrets, especially in the sun,
    you should put the exposure compensation to about -.7 to -1.

On the first hawk i was shooting at f/6.3 and 1/640 sec. and on the other hawks i was shooting at f/4.5 and 1/2000 sec.

On a sunny day you should have no problem getting good shots handheld. Put it on Aperture priotority at
    about f/8, which is basically the best spot for any lens, and iso at 200 or 400 and you should get good enough
    shutter speeds to get sharp shots.

On a cloudy day i would probobly shoot at iso 400 and close to wide open in order to get good shutter speeds.

Lastly you should realize that i am using an expensive lens, and being that it is f/4 at 300mm, it will have a
    smaller depth of field than your lens, making the birds pop out of the background, as on the egrets.
    Additionally, i am pumping up the saturation and contrast a little bit once on the computer.

As for my 300mm f/4, it does not have vr, as nikon hasn't made it yet.

I hope this helped. if not, ask more questions.