Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can you identify this fish?

I'd like to see the pic of the cut also, however, they are much more common than a silver from the Smith River. I have never even heard of someone catching one up there.

I caught a couple really nice searun cutts on the smith 5 or 6 years ago. I caught em on spoons at jed smith park in december.

J

Fellas,

Are the pics not being displayed? They are on my screen. I'll try to reload and see if that makes a difference.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

I can see them now.

Always heard of Sea-run Cutts on the Smith River.

I guess they in the pacific coast streams from there to Alaska?

I would like to make a serious run at those Sea-run Cutts after I retire. Maybe devote a month chasing them for the Smith to AK?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Ron

That cutthroat looks wild!! It almost resembles an alaskan rainbow!

Jay

I can see the pictures now and they are very nice. I love the picture of the cutt the most.

Mark

Definitely a brownie, I've caught a few similar but not out of the Trinity...One thing I've noticed over the years of exploring is that different rivers will hold different colorations of the same species...some places even have several different colorations in the same river, or even the same pool

I caught a very similar looking fish on the lower yuba a few weeks ago on a black AP nymph. Looks like a brown to me. Did it have distinct teeth?
    Mario Dinucci

Can't recall paying any attention to the teeth, Mario, sorry. What would I have seen had I?

Ron
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Default Sea Run Browns

The original picture resembles one of the small (ocean) run of Loch Leven (Scottish) Brown Trout found in the lower Klamath and Trinity Rivers of Humboldt and Del Norte Counties. According to George Burdick's Book, Klamath River Angling Guide (page 33) the trout lives in the river for two years before migrating. I have seen that fish taken in the nets in Hupa and on a hook at Weitchpec (at the mouth of the Trinity).