Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can you identify this fish?

Default Can you identify this fish?

Not certain what this is. Anyone know?

fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Default What Fish????

Kinda looks like a sea-run Brown or maybe some sort of pen raised Salmonid (an escapee perhaps )
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Definitly a brown to my eyes. Nice fish!

Jay

They have had Brown Trout in the Nimbus fish hatchery on the lower American River.

They get some on the Trinity River too.

They get some on the lower Feather River.

Veteran local fly fisher Walt Bennett said many years back he saw some Browns caught on the lower American River near Gristmill/Herrington access.

That looks like it could be a Brown trout? I have seen thousand of Halfpounder Steelhead (sea-run Rainbow trout) in this river for over 40 years and that just looks different. The head is different too.

It also does look a little like an Atlantic Salmon?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Looks like a brown alright. Did that come out of the American? Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

That definitely looks like a brown to me. How big was it? It's kinda hard to tell in the picture.
    "Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught."

I'm going to say brown, from the Trinity.... Or could it really be an actual specimen of the almighty elusive American River brown...
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Nice little Brownie .

The rock doesn't look like one outta the American though .....

I've heard rumors of Sea-Run Browns in the A for the past 15 or so years . Every person that shares these tales has yet to provide a photo for me to see , so it's all jive 'till I catch one .

A related idea here - why not stock a few thousand Brown fingerlings in the American and lake Natoma ?? It'd be ideal habitat

David

I was going to say a coastal cutthroat though it doesn't seem to have as many spots as the other cutts I've seen in photos. I have never heard of one in the American either though I'm never surprised when some freak individual animal shows up where we say it shouldn't. I've never personally seen a searun brown or cutt so I'm definately not the expert to ask. Here is a link to jbirds coastal cutt that jumped to my mind when I saw your fish http://www.kiene.com/messageboard/vi...cutthroat+gold

As far as introducing browns why would you want to add one more piscivorous fish eater to the American? Don't the salmon and baby steelhead smolts get hammered enough. I can't imagine browns would be able to stay in the river system year-round like warm water fish but I imagine they would eat there share of small fish.

Quote Originally Posted by davkrat
    As far as introducing browns why would you want to add one more piscivorous fish eater to the American? Don't the salmon and baby steelhead smolts get hammered enough. I can't imagine browns would be able to stay in the river system year-round like warm water fish but I imagine they would eat there share of small fish.
    Not that I have a snowballs chance of getting the DFG to stock Browns anywhere ......

Why would I personally want to add "one more piscivorous fish-eater to the American" ?? To fish for them , of course .

Guess you're not too keen on Browns , eh ?

David