Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Can you identify this fish?

Bill, it's easy...those of us fishing the McCloud are used to seeing the two types of Brown trout--the German brown with the orange spots most are used to seeing--and the Loch Leven brown that is silvery with the black spots...come some day and maybe we can catch one for those of you to see...these come up from the lake but are residents in the Mc...

Charlie Costner Fly fishing guide...Dunsmuir, CA
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Okay, so I guess the verdict is the fish is a Loch Leven Brown Trout?

Anyone know how rare a fish this is to catch on the Trinity? Or perhaps they're not rare at all, just that I've been casting around them all this time.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Hey Ron,
    I've only hooked into a couple in the 6 years I've been making the trip out there. Less common than steelies at least catching wise in my case.
    Similar black spots but not quite as bleached out.
    Always a cool surprise non the less.

This fish had a tag asking to be returned to Arcata. Still have no idea if that means it was tagged coastal.

Ron

I used to fish lakes a lot for browns in central oregon. I have caught many varying colored browns out of the same water body, in the same area, on the same day. They ranged in color from completely chrome with many little spots, to dark carmel with a yellow belly and huge spots...and everything in between. I believe they are all the same strain but are inclined to different diets perhaps. Some eat crustations, some prefer fry and some prefer bugs. Same as some of us like quarter pounders while others like a chicken salad. When you have genrations of fish breeding and interbreeding in an environment, you will get some clones but you will also get some diversity.

Jay