Thread: Shooting Heads in the Surf

Default Shooting Heads in the Surf

I make my own heads for use in the surf, usually T-8. I originally had braided loops on both ends but after my first trip I noticed the mono in the braided loop was becoming extremely abraded. The end with my flies actually flew off when the braided end came apart. The sand just tore it to shreds.

What are some of the alternatives?

I pulled off the braided loops and just used some 40 lb mono secured with a nail knot and then put a perfection loop in the end. The nail knot kept on getting caught in the guides and it was really irritating because it would get caught on every cast. The braided loops didn't get caught at all.

What do you use Mark, Ann?

Thanks.

Chris

I have made some beautiful loops by looping over the flyline and wrapping it with kevlar thread and whip finishing it. Then i coated the thread with a 2 part, 30 minute plumbers epoxy. The epoxy formed to the flyline and was as slick as a welded loop. I cant find the epoxy right now so i cant say exatly the specs on it. But the hardened epoxy was almost as supple as the flyline.

Jay

Jay,
    I was thinking about doing that exact same thing by looping over the T-8 and then just tying a nail knot and coating it with something like the UV knot sense. That stuff is pretty slick when it hardens. It's also soft too so it will be less likely to crack maybe? I don't know if epoxy will work and it might shatter when it bounces off rocks and sand. With the T-8 I'm basically dragging the shooting head over the sand so the glue has to be soft. The epoxy will probably work though.

Anyone have other ideas? I haven't seen any methods posted on the various surf websites other than that they use shooting heads.

Default shooting head setup

Hey Chris,

Here's a quick sketch of what I've been using with reasonable success for the surf:

The set-up isn't very different from what other folks have been constructing - it'll work with other heads besides T8. The Aqua-Seal has been sufficiently tough & resilient to withstand the abrasion from the rocks, sand & other obstacles in the surf. For best adhesion, the important thing is to clean the shooting head & mono with rubbing alcohol to remove any grease or other foreign matter before applying the A-S. Although convenient for changing lines, I've basically abandoned loop-to-loop connections between the shooting head & running line once I started fishing with the lighter fly gear - the guides on most light-weight rods (4-wt & under) just aren't big enough to pass the loops through efficiently. Hope some of this helps!

- Mark
    Did you wet your noodle today?

Chris....I use a T-8 head with short braided mono loops on each end. I fish the surf with either a 3wt or a 5wt. With the exception of the loop itself, I coat everything including the nail knots with UV Knot Sense. Actually, I put two coats on. The loop fits easily through the guides. The setup does undergo some wear and tear each time I use it. Rather then worry about it much, I just cut of the old loop and redo the whole thing when I see it starting to fray.

Mark's setup looks good as well. I may give that a try.
    Anne
    "So it goes"

Anne: What length of T-8 do you use for the head on your 5wt rod? While I haven't been over to the coast yet this year, catching surf perch on a 5wt sounds more fun than on an 8wt. Thanks for your help.

Bill Markwood

Anne: What length of T-8 do you use for the head on your 5wt rod? While I haven't been over to the coast yet this year, catching surf perch on a 5wt sounds more fun than on an 8wt. Thanks for your help.

Bill Markwood

Bill....I use a 26 1/2 ft piece of it. That is about 212 grains. I use black amnesia for a running line. I preheat the amnesia for a few minutes in hot water before I leave then and carry it to the beach in a baggie full of warm water. I found that this system works on both my 3wt and my 5wt. I bring both rods with me. If things are calm I use the 3wt, otherwise I use the 5 wt. I hope this helps.....Anne
    "So it goes"