Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adam, camera ????

Default Adam, camera ????

Adam I've read most of your posts on cameras and reports on the link you posted. I'm looking for a new P&S but dont have deep pockets! Looking for one under $300 Cannon of course. I can only afford one so it needs to be good indoors and out. I dont do alot of editing or enlarging but do fart around with settings. I've found a couple in my price range and was wondering if you could break them down for me, or recommend a totally different one.

All are Cannons:
    A630 8mp, ISO 80-800, Ape ???, 4x optical zoom and 1.8 fps
    A640 10mp, 80-800, Ape 2.8-4.1, 4x optical zoom and 1.5 fps
    A710IS 7 mp, 80-800, Ape2.8-4.6, 6x optical and 1.7 fps

My wife needs P&S and like I said I like to tinker with settings.

I think I may be able to sneek a little more $$ out the door but would like to stay within the limit set by Finance (my wife) so If you think I could get a better one let me know.

Thanks for your time in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Together we can conquer anything, but if only one of us trembles we may all face the end."

Walter

Walter

See my Canon G1 For sale....personally I think it's a better camera than what you have listed and for less money...this is one of Canon's best....

Todd

FHTFYR, I totally recommend the new A710IS!

I am looking at buying one of those for myself. I have been thinking about selling my Pentax and buying the new A710IS. It has nice manual features, optical image stabilization, 6x optical zoom, and much more. I love Canon cameras! This is a very exciting new compact point and shoot camera with manual features that I'd love to own.

Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

For those of us who spend a good chunk of time on slimey boulders over fast water, there are three requirements a camer must have. Waterproof, waterproof, and waterproof. Carrying a standard digital camera makes you so nervous about the inevitable dunking that you only fish half the places you should. So far the disposable waterproof cameras are the only viable option. What's a canyon rat to do? Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Purchase something to protect your camera. Simms makes a nice waterproof pouch with a neck lanyard. Pelican makes multiple hard waterproof plastic cases. Canon also makes waterproof cameras cases specially designed for certain models.

I love the waterproof-ness of my Pentax but I need more control in a camera. The Pentax takes great outdoor pictures but it is less than desirable in low light situations such as indoor situations.

Adam Grace

Damn Adam, thanks a lot. Had no idea those were out there. I fished with a friend on the Rube last summer and we both carried digi cameras. At the end of the day we got together and decided the hell with this, way too paranoid about unplanned swimming to fish effectively. It ended up with no fish or pics because of that. I know it doesn't seem like such a big deal to a lot of people but 350$ in a vest pocket that can't get wet really puts a damper on my fishing. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Man, I hear ya Ed. After dunking my digital in a creek, my wife replaced it for me with another nice one on my birthday. But I was so paranoid about taking it on the water, I ended up buying yet another digital off eBay for $50 (a used Kodak) for fishing purposes. Since this latter one was so cheap, I'm not nearly as paranoid about having it immediately available on the water.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

There are quite a few options for waterproofing your cameras, but they can be bulky and somewhat inconveniencing.

This Simms opuch is pretty cool.

http://pelican.com/cases_detail_specs.php?Case=1050
    This is a link for one particular Pelican case, chck out the rest of their cases.

Herea picture of a Canon underwater case for an A710IS camera.

I have not been fishing as much lately due to work and school so my fishing time has been significantly reduced. If I decide to purchase the new Canon A700IS I will put up my Pentax along with all of the extra accessories for sale on this board for another fish bum to enjoy. I will use a Simms protector or similar style protector.

Adam Grace

I'll be looking for that camera Adam! I'm very interested in it.

Sorry the fishing time is low now, but it'll pay off. Keep studying!
    “To me the indescribable sense of anticipation and mystery in simply going fishing is almost half the fun.” - Robert Traver

Thanks for the encouragement Steelie!

FHTFYR, I just re-read your post and you asked for me to break down the differences between those 3 cameras, so here it goes.

All the "A" series cameras will be nice for point and shoot as well as taking full control of the camera - i.e. controlling you aperture, shutter speed, light balance, exposure, ISO, focus range etc.

The A630 is a nice 8mp camera with a 4x optical zoom and a cool 2.5" swivel screen. But it lacks ISO control (which helps in low light shooting) nor does it offer optical image stabilization, both features are very important IMHO.

The A640 is just the 10mp version of the A630, nothing new or fancy.

The A710 IS, my recommendation has a 6x optical zoom with Optical Image Stabilization, a new important addition to the A series. The ISO control is better with this camera at 1600 ISO compared to the 800 ISO of the A630 and A640, not that you want to use the highest ISO but the improved sensor means that the 400 ISO will look better (less noisy) with the A710 than the other two. The A710 IS offers more new technology that will improve the quality of your pictures.

I hope that this helps.

Adam Grace