Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CRIMES AGAINST THE AMERICAN RIVER!

Nimbus Dam was constructed as part of the Central Valley Project which was formulated in the late 1930’s. Nimbus was designed to moderate flows from Folsom Dam for hydroelectric generation and to provide for the Folsom South Canal. It has very little flood control capacity. The Nimbus hatchery was a mitigation measure by the USACE for loss of salmon and steelhead spawning habitat for the upper American [all wrapped into the CVP].

Default Nimbus Dam....

dberry,.... I'm a bit confused here.... Since I see almost nothing in what you posted that differs from my post except for the comment about the potential flood control, I'm wondering what your point was

Nimbus still functions as a flow regulator dam and does provide some measure of flood control, no matter the amount. The dams were constructed in 1955 and the canal a bit later, regardless of when they were proposed. The funding for these dams was made available under The Feather River Project (which may've been a part of the original CVP) under the first Governor Pat Brown Sr.

So, I remain confused.... Are you making a case to remove Nimbus Dam
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I see that nimbus acts as a flow regulator for the folsom hydro generators. I see very little value in nimbus as a flood control device, however I do see its value as a constant flow regulator for the lower river. Without it river levels would most likely fluctuate on a daily basis.

But is is still my underrstanding, perhaps errant, that lake natoma has removed a significant portion of the natural spawning habitat on the main stem of the american.

Just think, if it were removed there would be an additional 7 miles of spawning grounds for the snaggers to rape pillage and plunder.

MN

You're just a glass half full kind of guy aren't you Mike. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

I hate to admit it, but when I began steelhead fishing several years ago I was one of those guys that would sight cast to fish on the redds. At the time I was so new that I had no idea what I was doing. I simply thought I was fortunate enough to have an opportunity to sight cast to some fish. It wasn't until sometime later that someone educated me about the ramifications of what I was doing and suddenly it didn't seem all that sporting at all. Nowadays I prefer to blind cast to fish in the deeper water. Certainly there are those who simply don't care, but anyone who appreciates the experience of hooking up with a nice fish would want to ensure that there are more fish to be caught later. The catch and release philosophy seems to have caught on fairly well, perhaps this is the sort of thing that can be corrected through education. Like I said, I had no idea until someone pointed it out to me.

Default Artificial Fishery....

Hmmmm,.... Been thinking about the post concerning creation of an artificial Salmon/Steelhead fishery on the American River.... The statement about the purpose of the closure (avoiding wading on Redds) and the fact of the artificial fishery makes me wonder about how compaction of the area available for natural spawning and wading by fisherman impact the success of the spawn outside of the hatchery....

From the beginning of the Salmon spawn thru the end of the Steelhead Spawn, these fish dig redds in the same parts of the river bed. Of course, Salmon Spawn earlier and Steelhead follow; Steelhead digging redds over the Salmon redds. Obviously, some Salmon alevin survive and escape but how many Salmon redds are dug up or covered by Steelhead before the Salmon Alevin escape their redd Is their more impact on Salmon survival from Steelhead using the same areas or from wading fisherman I've never seen anything about this in print.

All of this may be moot since, barring a negative, natural event, the hatchery can guarantee a failry constant return rate for any year.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

"All of this may be moot since, barring a negative, natural event, the hatchery can guarantee a failry constant return rate for any year."

Agree.....as long as they DO the funding!!! They certainly have
    re-neged on a lot of hatchery funding lately.
    ....lee s.

I understand how frustrating it must be to see people arrogantly walking through the various redds or disturbing spawning steelhead. However, as long as there are hatcheries pumping millions of fish back into the system each year, it's moot.

Dams ended the real natural spawn years ago. So be happy that there are hatcheries pouring millions of fish back in every year. It's the "glass half full" perspective.

I happen to think individuals that catch and kill stripers during their spawning activities in the spring are worse offenders with zero integrity, especially during this time of absolute zero enhancement programs for this struggling fishery. My $.02

Okay, let the debate begin.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish
    I happen to think individuals that catch and kill stripers during their spawning activities in the spring are worse offenders with zero integrity, especially during this time of absolute zero enhancement programs for this struggling fishery. My $.02
    First thing -

WELCOME to the board !!

Second ?

Beers on me when ya get into town

David

However, as long as there are hatcheries pumping millions of fish back into the system each year, it's moot.

Dams ended the real natural spawn years ago. So be happy that there are hatcheries pouring millions of fish back in every year. It's the "glass half full" perspective.
    Yes hatcheries make it just fine to disturb spawning WILD fish.