Thread: Sprin-run Halfpounder Steelhead on the lower American River.

Default Sprin-run Halfpounder Steelhead on the lower American River.

We are getting reports already.

It will be good in March, April and May especially if we have no more large storms.

Get some 12/14 caddis pupa and caddis dries and head to Sailor Bar or Rossmoor Bar.

I would fish early till noon and again 3:00pm till dark any day you can get out.

This will be happening on many Valley rivers like the Lower Sac, lower Feather and lower Yuba Rivers plus more.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Half pounders

Hello Bill
    I am curious why you mentioned Sailor and Rossmoor Bar. Do halfpounders tend to migrate up river more so then down river?
    Leo

Floated from Rossmore to Watt today and caught a couple half-pounders - one at Gristmill and the other above Watt. Caught both in riffle water swinging Alevins.

Water clairty was good and there were some hatches coming off.

Hi Leo,

For some reason the Fall run of Halfpounders seem to locate from Goethe Park downstream to Paradise Beach/Cal Expo with Watt Avenue being very popular.

Spring run Halfpounders seem to be more upriver for some reason, from Sailor Bar downstream to Watt Avenue.

That is what we have noticed over the years.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Thank you Bill and Randy for the reply. I will have to give the upper portion of the river a try.
    Leo

If it is sunny you should find some caddis hatching in the mid-afternoon now.

If not, you can tie on just about any #12 nymph or wet fly and 'swing' it down through the runs.

Some are using small salmon imitations now too because that is the other predominate food source now.

I usually start at the top of a riffle in the 'tail-out' (end of a big pool) first, especially in low light levels. This is that smooth water just before it breaks over into the choppy riffle itself.

Then I fish down through the choppy water created by the drop in elevation, the riffle it's self.

Make a cast and move down 3 to 5 steps and repeat.

I cast slightly downstream rather than straight across the river with a floating line and make a "reach mend" to swing wet flies for Steelhead.

As the line comes across the current you can pulse your rod or twitch the line to impart an action to your wet fly or nymph.

Be looking for fish to break the surface when you are working your way down river. If you see a fish "show" or "rise" then get upstream of it and cast so the fly swings across it's path. I usually twitch the fly as it approaches the fish's location.

I also keep my rod low and pointed at the fly as it swings across current so when the fish takes the fly it hooks itself on the tight line.

This works for most in the fall and spring when smaller fish are feeding more on insects.

This is not "rocket science" but if you get out there at least once a week for the next few months you will catch something.

I think the next 3 months should be good if we don't have any big tropical storms that cause the river to get too high.

During a drought period we can have wonderful spring fishing in most valley rivers.

Try to be at least knee deep casting into water that is 3-4 feet deep and moving.

When I fished more myself locally I use to take lots of people down to the river and I could get them started in 15 minutes.

Jeff Putnam has affordable seminars on Steelheading on the American River that can be very helpful as well.

Photo by MSP
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

I got skunked Saturday!!! (I know, nothing new for me) I did see two fish rise and one beater about 10lbs hanging out.... still something majestic about steelhead even when they're white with ich......

I was swinging a small flashy streamer on a shooting head.... Lost my better fly because I couldn't find my 2X.... and my 1X to 3X bloodknot slipped halfway through even though I yanked and tested it pretty well when I tied it on.... which reminds me... I wonder where my 2X went.... I digress..... saw some deer, geese, all kinds of water fowl and not a another fisherman except for the William B Pond....

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com