Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Someone's GONE MISSING

WELCOME BACK Mark....and thank you Gregg for getting him back. And Gregg, although it is something of a pain in the butt , Jerry's idea about adding the intermediary step of filling in a largely unreadable code before posting might be the way to go.

For those of you thinking about coming out to Point Reyes this weekend, the tides are not the best (unless you are a very early riser). Outgoing most of the fishing day. However, the weather is beautiful this morning and the high expected today is 65 degrees. As Kenny is fond of saying, "What try...Just do"...so I'll be at Drake's before noon today to bone up on my fishing-the-outgoing skills ........Anne

Tides for Point Reyes starting with February 17, 2007.

Day High Tide Height Sunrise Moon Time % Moon
    /Low Time Feet Sunset Visible

Saturday
    17 Low 4:08 AM 2.3
    17 High 9:58 AM 6.5
    17 Low 4:50 PM -0.8
    17 High 11:24 PM 5.4

Sunday
    18 Low 4:55 AM 1.8
    18 High 10:48 AM 6.3
    18 Low 5:27 PM -0.5
    18 High 11:56 PM 5.7

Monday
    19 Low 5:45 AM 1.4
    19 High 11:41 AM 5.9
    19 Low 6:05 PM 0.0
    "So it goes"

Quote Originally Posted by JerryInLodi
    Gregg, what about the entry key window that some BB's take you to. You have to enter the code in proper case to have your message posted. Seems to work although sometimes I can't figure out the swirley letters and numbers and have to make second attempts.
    I have tried this in the past and there was an error that prevented anyone from creating an account. This was where I was going to go. It has to be a software setting or configuration on the server. Luckily for us, the webserver we use is not a shared server, we have a dedicated server which means we can do whatever we need to do regarding the software on it. It's tough to find a balance between keeping the board usable and locking the unwanted out. I don't want to make it harder for people to post messages though, perhaps just another step to create the account.
    Gregg Machel
    Webmaster & Fly Fishing Enthusiast

Hi Gregg,

I'm not sure this particular board software has the read-the-scrambled-image option on a per post basis. It does for registering.

One solution (I run the Santa Cruz board) is to moderate registrations, then after activating any new 'real' users, run an sql query that deletes users that are inactive. (but don't delete the Anonymous user)

mysql> update phpbb_users set user_active="1" where username="somerealuser";

mysql> delete from phpbb_users where user_active="0" and username!="Anonymous";

The downside is that new folks can't post right away, but must wait for the moderator to approve them. The upside is that this system is pretty easy and painless to maintain.

I did take a peek at a database dump from my board, and I see that sucking out any particular user and associated posts is a big major hassle.

best, --Lars
    the fishin' musician.