Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As I mention

Default As I mention

in an earlier post, I stopped and fished at San Luis yesterday.
    I went over to Salinas (my old stomping grounds) to pick up a pram that I bought from this guy. It has been sitting a few years in his back yard. It's a Columbia pram, not too heavy and still floats.
    I had to test it out, just to see if there were any leaks. I launched the pram in the area of the Bay of Pigs. I did have a rod with me to test out my newest creation. It's a "Hard Body" minnow floating (bass fishing name). It was working perfect. When striped, it zig-zags side to side on the surface. I did have a couple boils behind it but no real aggresive grabs. Could of been some diaper stripers playing around.

Here's a front view of the fly

The bill on this fly is almost parallel to the hook shank

The other view is a side/front shot

It's tied on a Dai Ichi 6/0 hook and the body is covered with a thin layer of GE Silicon II

Yes, there are some stripers in the area. There was this couple fishing off the Fishermen's Point parking lot with 4 rods in the water. They had two fish in a small ice chest (legal size - I made sure). Then the wife started cranking on a fish and after 5 minutes of reeling the line in the fish was not even in sight yet. I thought something must of been wrong with the reel since it was taking so long. Finally the fish appeared on the rocks below. A striper about 5 lbs.
    So the husband jumped into this rubber dingy that was tied up to the rocks below and paddled over to get the fish. Once the fish was in the bucket, he then went to work

Now this is why it took so long to crank this fish in. He started this old 2hp motor that was on this rubber dingy, rebaited the hooked and proceeded to head towards the Trash Racks with a trail of smoke behind him. After he was about 400 yards out there, the wife flipped the bail on the reel and the baited hook went into the water. He then followed his smoking trail back in.

The question is - is this illegal? The reason I ask is because one time when I was launching my pram at Dinosaur Point, there was this guy using a RC boat to take his baited hook way out there and a park ranger was telling him that was illegal. I see nothing in the Regs regarding this

So, the moral of the story...... There are fish to be caught at San Luis, especially later this week and into next week. The temps around here are suppose to be around 67 to 69 degrees. If the rocks on the dam generate a little heat, it could bring up some fish

Jay

So Jay, are you ever thinking of tying this fly commercially? Looks like a ton of work to tie.

But even better, looks like a blast to fish!
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Default Stripah'sssss

Hey Jay,..... Good lookin' fly (as usual).

Unless there's some local park rule against using the boat/raft to take the line out, I don't know anything in DFG Regs that make the practice illegal.

I guess the argument could be made that the boat/raft is just a large float....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Eventually I will tie them commerically. But for right now, I have enough retail customers to keep me busy. If I decide to tie these commerically, it will only be for a couple shops. Right now, one is in Florida and Texas.

Darian,

I talked to F&G this morning and they know nothing about a law that would prohibit that type of fishing. Let's see if I take one of my big striper reels and loaded it with 20lb gel spun, I think I could go across the Forebay \/ \/ \/

Jay

Default Pole and line only

Jay,I am no expert on the regs, but I know some of it between the lines. For example I think they say angeling is using a pole and line. But then what of trolling. Or kite fishing. Would it make any difference if the guy went out in the dink and anchored right on the fish? Maybe they consider it a trot line at some length? Anyway it s just food for thought. just my 0.02$ worth. And that s very nice fly I assumw it sinks at rest? HC

Jay, I reread and you said that its a floater, perfect! I wonderr does the silicone help with floating the fly or for some other reason? It looks like a clipped "hair job" maybe llama or some other. Thanks for showing us all the fly. HC

HC,

The fly is tied with spun deer hair and then a thin coat of Silicon over the body. The silicon slows down the absorbing of the water in the hair. This one definitly floats on the surface.

I have other designs and patterns in the works but put them on hold for now

Jay

Sweet bug J.

MN

Nice bug Jay. Are those the bills the guys in Fresno stamped out?
    -Paul

Paul,

Yes, those are the bills that I had stamped out. I'm thinking of having some of the larger ones stamped. I think they are 5/8" wide and an inch in length.

I will be bringing them with me to the Pleasanton show and also the Warm Water Expo at Kiene's.

Jay