Thread: Glad I shut up and fished!

Default Glad I shut up and fished!

Late this afternoon, I was involved in a thread I started over in the general forum about a salmon snagging rig I found in the river bed, (which more than one of our members claimed to be theirs, and it can’t be both of theirs, so one of them is lying!). The thread quickly evolved into a snag of itself, somehow fumbling into a subject matter way too serious for me, so I decided to put the last remaining hours of January 2007 to good use and go fishing for steelhead instead.

Sure glad I did. With the near full moon well into the eastern clear sky and the sun, peacefully leaving an orange glow in the western sky after having faded below the horizon, I hooked a huge, beautifully colored buck going 12-14lbs about 20 feet from the bank in less than 2 feet of water. It took the fly, missed it or let go, and came back for a second stab at it, which did him in. This is the second fish this year that hit my fly, didn’t take, and then came back for it, in an apparent attempt to not let that thing get away!

Sorry, no pics because it would have required flash and I have yet to take a flash picture that does justice to the fish. Glorious night out there tonight. Really beautiful.

Ron
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Ron, your are fast becoming the steel king of this board! Good job. Now you need to take MSP fishing . And me too!

Funny how the more you fish, the 'luckier' you get.
    “To me the indescribable sense of anticipation and mystery in simply going fishing is almost half the fun.” - Robert Traver

Default Hit & Run????

Hey Ron,.... Have you considered that those fish wanted to commit suicide
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Nail on the head there, SteelieD. It's all about that fly having quality time in front of a willing fish to create that "luck" you mention.

No threat of imminent death from me, Darian. They are safe at the end of my line!

Ron
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Fine fish for a good guy -

WELL DONE !

David =D>

Great job Ron! I particularly enjoyed the way you described the evening setting when that fish took.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Right on Ron! Keep the steelies with a sore mouth