Thread: Subsurface flies for carp

Default Subsurface flies for carp

Does anyone have a favorite subsurface fly for carp that they might share? I have a few spots that I have observed carp. They feed in clear water for a extended periods of time without breaking the surface. Any recipes would be appreciated. Thanks Steve

Say Hey Steve,
    I frequently hear how the San Juan Worm is a successful carp fly all over the States. The few carp I've connected with were on small SJ Worms, small softshell crawdads, and dragonfly nymphs.
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Steve -

I've cast to a few thousand Carp , hooked 10 , and landed ONE

Most hookups were on a #6 Dragonbugger or a #10 Olive Birdnest .

The only one I landed was on a #6 Black Ghost Zonker - explane THAT one to me !?!!!??!

David

Steve,

Check your email

Jay

Carp over here are great fun on fly gear. I have had a lot of success on Wooly buggers, in olive, brown and white can be red hot.
    Bass vampires were very successful on the bigger carp, as the hook up profile allow a firmer hookset. Some of the monsters were better than 20 pound,(had some on possibly 30 pound or better, but couldnt stop them on light leaders) and you have to stop them in there tracks or the buggers would tie you in stitches. If you didnt have a good hook up in the roof of the mouth, they just kept going.
    They can be fussy, you had to fish light leaders, but still put the wood on them.

Default Bass Vampires????

Hi Paul,.... Could you describe a "Bass Vampire" fly/lure for me
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

The bass Vampire is popular in the bass comps here and also for bream, i used them on a floating line and suspend at around 8 feet, or use lighter eyes to slow the sink rate. These things are deadly when used on a sinking line, when the fishing is shut down and the fish school up at 25 feet or deeper.
    This link takes you to the best description i have found. Tied by a good friend of mine, Martin "Harry" Potter.

http://groups.msn.com/FlyFishingDown...ssvampire.msnw

Default Bass Vampires????

"Harry" Potter.... Using a little magic is he
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown