Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drake's Beach report 1/25/07

Default Drake's Beach report 1/25/07

Fished the incoming today. BEAUTIFUL out there. Took Anne-Marie, a friend of mine from my club who had never caught a fish in the ocean before. Gave her a couple of my flies, showed her how to strip the line and walked up the beach to the east. Being a veteran Pyramid Lake fly caster that was all the instruction she needed.

Found our first rip only about 100 yards up from the parking lot. Just like that she picked up a small BSP. Her first ever.

I managed 3 platters size fish for a total of 4 in that hole.

The second rip was also generous, giving up three platters each. The water had a lot of loose grass floating in it but otherwise was clear and the surf very forgiving. Oh...did I say the day was beautiful? No wind, and comfortably warm in all that gear. You just have to love it.

It will be interesting to see if those small strippers Mark got down south show up up here......Anne
    "So it goes"

Any day on the beach is a great day.
    Definitely cool to get someone into a fish on their first outing.
    Cool thing is you never know what you'll end up with.
    Can't wait to get back up there for the summer/fall striper action next year.
    -Paul

great report Anne, thats encouraging that drake's has been showing some structure. i sure do hope those stripers show up in our area. Hey Paul, do you fish the beaches and or sf bay much for stripers up here? that is the fishery i'm going to try and learn really well this year.

Hey Anne,

Great report & nice going on the fish! I'm getting all worked up just thinking about fishing the Pt. Reyes area this weekend. Drake's is definitely a really cool beach for introducing freshwater folks to the surf scene, especially when the surf & weather cooperate.

- Mark

I have to be in the East bay on Wednesday morning. I might just pop over there in the afternoon. Does it really matter if I don't have the tide right?

MN

Hey Mike, i've had luck on just about every tide. i think its definitely worth giving it a try. Sometimes the middle of a particularly large outgoing can make the water offcolored and put a lot of grass in the water, but even then there's usually some perch to be caught. just remember, if you arn't getting into fish keep moving, working as much water as you can, and many times when you find them it'll be a whole school. good luck! post a report if you get a chance.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll let you know how I do if I go.

MN

Default Weds fishing....

Hey Mike,

If you're referring to next Weds. (1/31), it looks like you'll be fishing an afternoon outgoing tide (tide prediction for Drake's at: http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/cgi...=&plot_backup=).

As Loren mentioned, keep moving until you feel a tug on the other end. If you can stick around into the late afternoon, the bite can be pretty productive 1-2 hours before & after the tide change. Wish you luck & let us know how it goes.

- Mark

Hey Loren,
    I've started heading up there more now to fish with friends from back home. I'm by no means an expert and rely on friends that spend way too much time on the water that time of year. I live 5 hours south now, so my time up there is limited.

As I'm sure you'll find out, its a bit more combat fishing than anything. Seeing dudes sitting in their cars with binoculars watching guys fishing is a lame in my book.

Overall, though, its definitely cool when the dude with the goofy long pole bangs a big stripe.
    I hope to make it back home more next summer and spend more time up there (bay and coast).
    -Paul

Paul, i knew that back in the day when there were huge runs of blitzing stripers off the coast there were tons of guys out there, but i had no idea it can still be like that. you've seen this on the beaches south of the golden gate along the san mateo coast?