Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our top selling reel for the past year is the Orvis.........

I just called Orvis and got another repair #.

They promised to return the reel as good as new this time.

What ever you do , do not set the reel on the bottom in any sand or rocks for a photo . This is a photo of my reel setting on the bottom just before it jammed up !! A small Dolly Warden .

Sorry to hear about your experience Rob. They obviously fell down on that one but I'm sure they'll make it right. I've only dealt with the Orvis company store in Palo Alto on a couple of rod and reel issues and their service was absolutely impeccable. In fact, more than I expected on both.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker
    Sorry to hear about your experience Rob. They obviously fell down on that one but I'm sure they'll make it right. I've only dealt with the Orvis company store in Palo Alto on a couple of rod and reel issues and their service was absolutely impeccable. In fact, more than I expected on both.
    I think they will do it right this time. The girl i talked to, said she would make a note ,for them to replace the drag . The reel looks like it should seal very well but something go into the drag . It was one of the smoothest reels i had until I took it to Alaska . I really like the mid-arbor .

We have sold hundreds of the new Mid Arbor Battenkills for two years now with no returns or complaints so it's not a very common issue. If they had any inherent problems we would surely be sending then back for repairs.

Actually we have sold a ton of Orvis reels for many years with very little problems which is quite shocking for low to mid-priced fly reels.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene
    We have sold hundreds of the new Mid Arbor Battenkills for two years now with no returns or complaints so it's not a very common issue. If they had any inherent problems we would surely be sending then back for repairs.

Actually we have sold a ton of Orvis reels for many years with very little problems which is quite shocking for low to mid-priced fly reels.
    I was very surprised to have a problem with mine !!
    We also have two Battenkill reels that have been great . I had sand get in the gears of the drag in them , but you just remove the spool and flush them out in the river and your good to go . This one for some reason got a peace of sand in the drag and locked up solid. I tried to open it up and flush it like you can the Battenkills but nothing. I was able to finally brake it loose, but ever since you can hear and feel it grinding in side. So tomorrow I will be sending it in to Orvis again.

I just got my reel back from Orvis and it good as new.
    Vets , Thanks for your service !!
    http://www.flashdemo.net/gallery/wake/index.htm

Well i spoke too soon !!!!

I have not used my reel sense it was returned the second time and
    Cody was looking at it and informed me that it still had a grinding sound in side the reel when the drag was set. So i looked at it again and he was right. So i told Cody that i can probably repairer it my self and was tiered of returning it . I removed the first screw in the center if the nob for the drag and the second screw was stripped completely and no way you could put a crew driver in it !! So for the 3rd time and last i will be calling Orvis in the am. The last time they promised me that they would replace all the parts for the drag , but the pitted parts are still visible on the reel . I even told them i would buy the parts . Sorry about the negative feedback on the reel but this will be the last Orvis product i will ever buy . I give up !!!!!!

Well i just called Orvis again , and i am sending my reel in for the third time and they said they will sent me a new reel .

Rob

Its a shame it sometimes comes to this with customer service. You have to tell them "You've just lost a customer" before they do the right thing.

I have had a lot of trouble with Scott customer service, They are notorious for slow turnaround on repairs. The last time I broke my scott. I called them to tell them how disapointed I was in the 10 week turnaround the last time. To make a long story short, rather than repairing the broken section, they sent me a new rod in 4 days.

Jay