Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our top selling reel for the past year is the Orvis.........

Default Our top selling reel for the past year is the Orvis.........

...........fully machined, anodized Battenkill Mid Arbor III @ $119 USD.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_c...9&pf%5Fid=72ER
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill, when you set the Orvis side by side with the Redington CD they appear exactly the same. Will the spools interchange?

As I understand it, the Orvis is slightly cheaper than the Redington.

One complaint, the 9/10 version of both reels seem a little skimpy on the amount of backing that can be loaded onto the reel with a full line. I'm not sure if I'd like to face a 40 pound dorado with only 100 yards of 30# backing on my reel.

I'm going to strip off the standard fly line backing and put on some of the new small diameter, high poundage line and see if I can double the amount of backing to two hundred yards.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Jerry

The GD redington is discontinued. Theyre getting harder and harder to find. But they are usually dirt cheap. I dont know if the spools interchange...I really doubt it. The GD drag is silky smooth but has little stopping power. I dont think I'd mess with bluewater fish with one. They are mid arbor design so I found it possible to put a whole bunch of spectra backing on my 7/8 GD.

Jay

PS There are a few online stores offering spare GD spools for under $50.

Jay, uh, I believe Jerry was referring to the Redington CD model, not the GD. I do seem to recall others saying the Orvis Mid-arbor, Redington CD, and Pflueger Trion are all built on the same platform and that their spools are interchangeable?
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

oops! My bad. I should rub my eyes clear before I read posts

Jay

Mike, you're right. I just saw a Pflueger and I would swear that all of them were made in the same factory. I'd sure like to try swapping spools just to see!

Jbird, you're waaaaaayyyy too young to claim middle-aged-itis.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Default Interchangeability.....

I believe it was Tony Buzolich who first commented on the similarities of these reels.... Maybe he'll get into this to provide some info....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default They're The Same! Almost?

As well as I can remember, I think I did try to interchange several and they swapped just fine.

Obviously, these are all made at the same plant somewhere in ? Korea? China? ???? somewhere and with only slight cosmetic differences they are able to be sold to numerous companies under different brand names and prices. Bill mentioned in an earlier post about using better needle bearings in some of the one way clutches and this may be but I wouldn't doubt if they interchange too.

I noticed this design as a Cabela's brand too.

It's all just a marketing plan and any of these reels really are a great value. All fully machined 6061 aluminum with disc drags for around a $100.00 give or take a buck or two.

What I have noticed is the differences in the disc drags as you move up a notch or two even though the frames seem almost identical. The new Redington CD which replaces the Brakewater has a very large disc drag compared to the Pflueger Trion and others. This is a substantially greater surface area and definitely a higher performance feature worth the few extra bucks.
    TONY

I did not read all the post above.

The Redington would be a better salt water reel because it has a better one way Japanese Koyo needle bearing and a better drag (cork) than the Orvis.

In fresh water they are both fairly equal.

Others like Pflueger use this same "platform" but the bearing and drag are not very good.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I seem to have the worst Luck !!!

When I took my M.A. Orvis Reel to Alaska . The second day something got into the drag and locked it up solid. Had to take it apart so I could continue fishing . Never did get it clean. when I got back I sent it to Orvis for repair and 1 month later they returned it . It is still as rough as when I sent it in . They did not cure the problem , not sure if they even took it apart. The reel now sits in my closet . Its usable but I just no longer like the way it feels. Very disappointed that the drag is not sealed better and the condition of the reel when returned from being ( ?) repaired. Sorry about the negative report but very disappointed !!