Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bauer Reels

Default Bauer Reels

Does anyone have any experience with Bauer reels? If so, what models and how do you like them? Would you consider them a top of the line reel?

Thanks
    Jay

jbird, i have owned a couple of Bauer's for steelhead and trout fishing. I had a MX on a spey rod and have a MSL 3 on my six weight for trout and steelhead. They are very solid reels. Good drag system and very quiet. Actually they make no sound. I wish i never got rid of the MX, because it was a good spey reel and picked up line pretty fast. I just love the classic Hardy click/pawl reels. There is nothing like a steelhead peeling off line from a hardy!
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

Jay,

A good friend of mine, Mark, has 5 or 6 of them. I can't remember exactly what models, perhaps the "M" series? He uses them on his 2-hader outfits for steelhead. Anyway I've fished with them as well and the only thing about them that is different from most reels is the drag setting is inside the handle. This has pluses/minuses. The plus is, you don't have a drag knob to get line stuck on. The minus is, you can't adjust the drag while the reel handle is turning and live to tell about it! Just kidding, or course, but when that handle is spinning the last thing you want to do is get your fingers in the way. This is a minor issue if you know what drag setting works for you or if you're fishing for smaller fish but at least something to consider. Overall the quality of the reels are very good.

Hope this is a help,

-John

Hey Jbird - check your PM...
    Ray Rivera

I have 3 of the original M series - the 2, 3 and LOHR that I hvae used extensively for trout and steelhead and they have been flawless.

I recently got two others - the Extreme 4 and 5 (sealed drag with knob on frame side rather than spool side) and used those in my recent trip to Tarpon Cay Lodge and again they performed very well. I also use them for some of my spey lines. I would not hesitiate to recommend these reels. The company is first rate.

They have made improvements to their drag system on the originals and for a reasonable fee you can send these reels in and tehy refurbish them totally (around $35 it seems). Have not yet done this on my original reels but may do so

Jay
    I was looking into these reels a while back and they seem to be good product . Grant had/has one of the old models that had the drag adjustment on the spool that Big TJ mentioned and he said it is a problem and takes a while to get used to. The new models have the drag adjustment on the frame side and a sealed drag.

Mark
    http://www.bauerflyreel.com/mz.html

Thanks guys

I am most interested in the new extreme series...the MX4 to be exact.

RickJ

These reels are pretty spendy, do you find them to be worth the doe? The drag system looks really good on these reels, do they have good stopping power?

Jason

Good drag system and very quiet.
    , The sound of a reel is very important to me, it may be petty to some folks but I get a kick out of a reel that sings a pretty song . The bauer reels advertise that they have "silent retrieve with crisp, outgoing click". Do you find this to be not so? If I spend 5 1/2 bills on a reel, it better sing for me

Jay

Jay - I love the reel and it has a nice sound though not real loud. That said whether it is worth the $'s is a choice you need to make - for salt water I think a good reel is essential with a good smooth drag but I can't think of a real need for this in freshwater. I used a click pawl reel for years on steelhead and in fresh water I rarely play with the drag - I set it so it won't overspool and generlly leave it alone and just use the rim control. The exception is for kings on the Smith and Chetco where I will crank down on the drag some.

I got the Bauers for salt but also for spey fishing and need the capacity. But there are many less expensive reels out there that have these characteristics - I got a Teton Tioga Magnum from Bill last year for spey lines and also used it at Tarpon Cay Lodge and it also has worked flawlessly and is a great reel for the price.

Jay,

I have a collection of them, from the original M series and now the MX series and the MZ series. I have never had any problems with the reels except a few times when I use Amnesia backing. Every now and then the mono somehow worms it's way between the spool and the reel housing. I'm talking about using a smaller diameter amnesia. But Jon Bauer actually fixed the problem by shimming up something. I also had another problem in Mexico when i took the reel apart and put it back together.
    Ya gotta remember, the star drag knob goes on the outside of the reel frame on the MX series. He has also modified the reel to make it "MURAKOSHI PROOF". There is a tab or notch that the pin no has to slip into so it can't be put together backasswards.

Great reel, smooth drag

Jay

"MURAKOSHI PROOF"

In that case, sounds like these reels might work for me too!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.