Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MLK weekend surf wrap-up...

Hey Anne,

I kept checking to see who was fishing the west end of the beach - a couple of bait dunkers were on that side when I first showed up, but didn't see much activity going on at that end. At least you left without having to take Pepe LePew home with you! Funny you should mention about the bootfoot waders - do you mind mentioning what brand/model you're getting? After wearing out 8-10 pairs of various breathable & neoprene bootfoot waders over the last 15-20 years, I recently got a pair of neoprene stockingfoot waders & Teva sandals for venturing into the surf. It's a drastic change from the bootfoots I'm accustomed to wearing in the suds. The sandals are vented & prevent sand from accumulating around the foot. One thing I've noticed is that the sandals provide a good "feel" for the bottom - the footwear gives me a better sense of where the holes & depressions are located when I can't see the bottom while I'm wading. The downside is that pebbles & stones tend to lodge between the sandals & my foot, making my foot somewhat uncomfortable until I can flush or clean the debris out. I'm sure the stockingfoots will leak at some point this year, but I thought I'd at least give them a try. I still have my last pair of neoprene bootfoot waders as a back-up for the surf - the vulcanized rubber bootfoots are almost completely encased in Aquaseal from all the cracks & leaks I've had to repair (& they're barely a year old!). Maybe it's time I invest in a high-end pair of bootfoot waders considering all the miles I log in the surf each year. - Mark

"just be sure to keep an eye out for the guy with the big white teeth & the gray suit (the "Warden")"

Argggg .... me ol' pal WHITEY

Some day .... after a few Beers , I'll tell ya about my only meeting w/ Mr Grinner on the edge of a flat in Tomales

Come to think of it ..... I started goin' gray about that same time

David

Quote Originally Posted by Anne Vitale
    Wow ....I am really bummed about how well you did compared to the measly two BSPs I caught that same afternoon on ALMOST the same beach.
    Sheeeet ..... at least you caught 'em !!

Perch might as well be a winning lotto ticket in MY hands !!

David

Mark....I ordered a pair of Cabela's DryPlus GII Btft Waders-. With shipping the price came to $131.70. Not exactly a high end wader but I figured that since I wouldn't be moving through brush and berry bushes, I didn't have to be too concerned about durability. Maybe I'm wrong but I had to do something else other then the stocking foot guys.

I have never worn bootfoot waders before so I don't know about the lack of sensitivity in finding holes in the sand. I can't imagine, however, that they would be any worse then the wading boots I am now wearing. I have worn sandals with my stockingfoot waders to stream fish in the summer and found that those little pebbles can be a trip breaker.....Anne
    "So it goes"

Default waders

Anne - thanks for your input on the waders. It probably won't be long before I'll need to get another pair. The surf's awfully dang cold at this time of year around the bay area!