Conversation Between Jcolin and Pupa

3 Visitor Messages

1. I would highly recommend finding a copy of a small book called "Fishing the MFFR with access Points" or something similar. It was indispensable in our research. Also check Jon Baiocchi blog site as he fishes the river regularly and has a wealth of knowledge. Finally, there was an article in Fly Fisherman magazine (or NW flyfisherman?) which was helpful. Half the fun is doing the research and scubbing google earth. I was so frenzied for information one year that i actually tracked down the contact of someone who had written an article many years ago. He was not pleased that i called him during his work shift at an auto body shop!

Best of luck and post a report. Feel free to ask any advice.

Brett

PART III
  2. We have seen bears, rattlesnakes and plenty of other wildlife as well as some very cool old mining equipment and hobo camps. We would generally camp for several days and it was always an awesome experience. On the north side, there is trail that takes you to Oddie bar and No Ear bar. I think we fished Oddie downriver which was really good. Nelson Creek area is supposed to be excellent with browns moving up Nelson (spring creek). The area below must be cooler so might be a good bet. The Nelson creek hike is not bad at all.

The river is total freestone with some wild fluctuations but nice variety of geology and water types. There is even a white marble area. Not sure what the hatches are in spring. The fish are not that fussy. I would recommend dry dropper or euro nymph.

PART II
  3. Hi Jcolin,

Not sure about the fire closures but you if they are from Cleghorn to the lake you should be ok. I have fished the MFFR for many years with two friends of mine. We generally fished in October and did really well. My biggest was 21" bow. The water will be very skinny this year.

I'm living in Italy now and don't have access to my library so I am not able to be very precise. That being said, there are a number of trails leaving from dirt spur roads to the river. The drop is significant, around 1500ft if i recall on average and very steep. Be prepared with water, food, and first aid as it takes a long time and is very taxing to exit the canyon.

PART 1
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 3 of 3