PDA

View Full Version : Time to start tying.

Ben Kobrin
01-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Now that I've been fishing for a few years, I suppose I've got to start tying some flies. I've been reading this board for quite some time and I've even asked a question from time to time, so I've got plenty of great information but it's time to take the next step.

Before I jump right into buying equipment, I'd like to get a few recommendations on a good beginners book that I can pick up. Or, is the abundance of info on the web sufficient and I should just buy the cheapest vice/tool combo set I can find and get cracking? Ideally I'd love to take a class of some sort, but there aren't any available that I have found in the Stockton area; and my hectic job keeps me from driving up to Sac for any classes that may be offered there. As always, any advice would be appreciated.

-ben

Flycanoe
01-10-2007, 03:48 PM
This is the book I used to learn how to tie. It is an excellent book for the beginner and also very inexpensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Tying-Hunting-Fishing-Library/dp/0865730431/sr=8-15/qid=1168468839/ref=sr_1_15/102-6890543-2767307?ie=UTF8&s=books

Hairstacker
01-10-2007, 04:02 PM
I would pick up Skip Morris' "Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple" and John Van Vliet's "Art of Fly Tying." You'll be able to teach yourself how to tie armed with these two. A great supplement to these two is Dave Hughes' "Essential Trout Flies."

No doubt there's great info on the web and you can teach yourself how to tie based on this information IF you are able to tie where your computer monitor is located so you can follow the steps on the screen while working at the vise. If that's the case, I would recommend the tutorials on www.flyanglersonline.com as they take things in a very step-by-step fashion and walk you through beginners' flies before taking on intermediate-level ties, and so on. There's also a great introduction to tools and other basics on this site. (When you go to the site, just click on "Fly Tying," then click on "Beginning Tying.")

On www.flyfisherman.com you'll find a comprehensive shootout/review of just about all of the name-brand vises, and this site also has great articles that discuss types of threads, materials, etc.

www.flytyingforum.com represents an international community of tyers from beginners to some of the most accomplished tyers in the world. There's a beginner section on that bulletin board where a lot of beginner questions get posted and answered by more experienced tyers. Of course, there are other great websites as well.

As far as equipment, it really depends on how much you want to spend. If you can afford it, I would suggest you buy a half-decent vise, really good scissors and bobbin, a few other cheap tools, and then just the actual materials you need for the first flies you're going to tie.

No question it is often cheaper bottom-line to start with a kit, but many of the vises in the kits are not very good and don't hold hooks well, which can lead to frustration. The majority of folks who start out this way and stick with it will replace the vise at some point, so. . . .

Fly tying can be a very rewarding hobby in itself, and most do get a kick out of catching fish on flies they've tied, especially if they've had a hand in their design. Certainly a great way to spend time when you can't get to the water. 8)

By the way, I seem to recall someone asked a similar question here in the past, so you might want to check some of the older threads in this section.

Hairstacker
01-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Oh, while writing the above post, I see Flycanoe has recommended one of the same books. :D

SteelieD
01-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Mike is right on. There are some great websites out there with plenty on patterns. The only issue I've found is that they often refer to techniques that they assume you know. Usually, I don't. I found this site which walks you through some of the best trout patterns out there in a very detailed manner...

http://www.troutflies.com/tutorials/

I am a new tier as well so here are my few points that I'd pass along.

Buy the best rotary vise you can afford (cruise the classifieds of the ff boards).

Buy the best scissors you can afford (I replaced two pair before I splurged on the Dr. Slicks.

Don't buy the real expensive hooks right off the bat. You'll likely tie a bunch of crummy flies before you figure out a pattern and tie ones that you'll want to put in your box.

If you can afford a beginner class, do it (or hit up your local club and see what they've got going). Books and the web are fine but, there is no substitute for personal (or group) instruction from an experienced tyer.

Good luck and have fun. It almost as much fun as the fishing itself and some might claim it is even more fun!

Matt Frey
01-10-2007, 04:27 PM
www.troutflies.com also has some great step by step instructions.

Ben Kobrin
01-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks to all for the great info. I'm checking out flytyingforum.com and it looks like a perfect place to get some of my more basic questions answered. It also looks like I'll be headed to the local B&N to pick up a few books.

Ed Wahl
01-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Welcome to the club Ben. It's the logical next step for you. Catching them on your own ties is a whole new plane of fishing, not to mention the money it'll save you down the road. Don't waste your money on classes, everything you can get there you can get elsewhere for free. Keep an eye out for more B.S. sessions at the shop here in Sac. ( David?) Your tying skill will jump immediatly, or jump start immediatly after being around these guys for a couple hours. Don't get put off by the high prices of top quality tools, you can keep it on a shoestring to start out, Hairstackers list looks about right. I agree on the starter kits, there are some real garbage vises in those. I, and most of the guys I know started with the Thompson A vise, they're not made anymore but you can find similar or used ones around, I think I paid 30 bucks for mine and that was 20 years ago. If it turns out you don't really like to tie flies you won't be out much, you can always upgrade later. Good luck. Ed

David Lee
01-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Come up and visit ...... I'll be more than happy to show you what you need to know .

Make sure to give us a few days heads-up before you visit Sacramento . I'm sure I can arm-twist a few other local tyers to help out a bit ....

The price is right - :nod:

David :D

Ben Kobrin
01-10-2007, 08:44 PM
David- thanks a bunch! I will absolutely take you up on your offer one of these days. Been so busy with work lately that I can't seem to steal away even a few hours; but I guess it's better to have too much work than not enough!

All of you guys are the best and I feel very fortunate to have so many quality people (and opinions) right here at my computer. And that you are all willing to answer such basic questions is a bonus!

Although we've never met, a big thanks to Bill for making such a wonderful online community available. It's not easy to get into such a complex activity/sport such as fly fishing, and I know I speak for many when I say that this board has been the most valuable tool for shortening my learning curve and exponentially increasing my enjoyment of the sport!

-ben

jbird
01-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Ben

I think the others here have covered most everything you need to know. If you like to spend money and are a gear junky, do some research and buy a good quality vise...but not before you do a bit of tying to know what your specific needs are. I think for every one person that likes a particular vise, theres one person who doesnt. Some like cams, some dont, some like rotary, some dont...etc. You can get in to tying for under $100 and play with that for a while before learning your needs.

Once you learn to tie a couple flies, you'll realize that all flies are tied in nearly the same maner, from streamers to dry flies to nymphs. Dont be afraid to experiment. When I started tying nearly 20 years ago (this is a true story) I found a ball of lint in my carpet, I tied it on a hook with a big fat abdomen and a little thorax. I cut 3 bristles off a hair brush and tied them on crisscross for legs, I turned out the funniest little beatle you ever saw. I caught a dozen trout on the surface the next day with it before it fell apart. There was no looking back after that. The sky is the limit with fly tying. Your gonna love it.

Jay

David Lee
01-10-2007, 11:24 PM
David- thanks a bunch! I will absolutely take you up on your offer one of these days. Been so busy with work lately that I can't seem to steal away even a few hours; but I guess it's better to have too much work than not enough!

All of you guys are the best and I feel very fortunate to have so many quality people (and opinions) right here at my computer. And that you are all willing to answer such basic questions is a bonus!

Although we've never met, a big thanks to Bill for making such a wonderful online community available. It's not easy to get into such a complex activity/sport such as fly fishing, and I know I speak for many when I say that this board has been the most valuable tool for shortening my learning curve and exponentially increasing my enjoyment of the sport!

-ben

Hey Ben -

Kiene's expo is Saturday , April 21st - I'll pester Bill for a Kiene's BB table and we'll get you started . That should get you enough time to clear that day for a visit ( and .... it'll give the 'regulars' a place to connect , BS , tye , lie , etc ....) .

If you make it up sooner .... PM me .

David :D

bolden
01-11-2007, 12:53 AM
Another recommendation for a site to help you out is http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/

This site has extremely detailed descriptions with pictures of every step for many different flies.
I found it after i learned how to tie, but it definitely would have helped with my learning curve.

Good luck

SullyTM
01-11-2007, 07:36 AM
Ben...You're going to regret getting into fly tying :lol: :lol:

You'll find great pleasure in tying your own flies! BUT it can be habit forming. Before you know it you'll have a peg board on the wall with bags and bags of materials hanging from it :D Craft stores like Micahels, JoAnn Fabrics and The Dollar Store are great sources for inexpensive materials. Need micro fibbetts? Paint brush fibers will do the trick. Scud back material? No problem...cut up a surgical glove into thin strips! Kienes Fly Shop has without a doubt the best selection of tying gear and materials of any shop I've ever been in...plus the advise won't cost you a penny!

One item that you might have a question or two about is thread...Many choices. Here is a tip...Buy white thread and only white thread. You can use a sharpie to color it if needed. You'll save some $$ by not having every thread color under the sun.

PM your address to me...I have some extra materials I can send you to get started...

Enjoy. Thom

Ben Kobrin
01-11-2007, 09:22 AM
Thom - Your offer is very generous, and one that I will take you up on. Since my fly tying IQ is in the "idiot" range, I would probably go out and buy the wrong stuff anyway! PM sent.

Also, the creativity involved in fly tying is what interests me the most. As you mentioned, finding everyday items that I can try to use to fool fish is what I'm after. What I am really looking forward to is tying a fly using Arthur (my best friend and favorite fishing partner pictured to the left) for my materials. I'll have all shades of yellow and white available!

-ben

mike N
01-11-2007, 11:47 PM
I would serious not consider not taking a class or ten. It is true that you can gain quite a bit of information from books, internet, videos, etc, but there is nothing like tutlidge and feedback from one that knows how to tie with the proper techniques. At a very minimum I would go to a show and watch the tyiers tie. Ask questions, take notes then practice. Classes, if you can find them, will give you the feedback and steps to build on in a relatively short period of time. The only trick is to find someone in your area that can teach you the right habbits from the start.

my $.02.

MN

major257
01-13-2007, 04:45 AM
Bugger, I have one little suggestion. Buy a kit from Cabelas or some place where you can get the materials alone and buy a cheap tool kit and a cheap rotary vise like a danvise. The first fly I tied was just some white goat hair tied on a hook. The goat didn't like it but the trout did. After you catch that first fish on your own creation you will be hooked. It will take you a longer time to out grow the cheap rotary and it will be less money wasted. Remember too that fish eat bugs not prime rib so your flies don't need to be perfect to catch fish, have fun with it.