PDA

View Full Version : first trip in 2007

Ben Kobrin
01-08-2007, 06:09 PM
A buddy and I have finally managed to find a weekend to dedicate to the fish! Now all we need is a destination(s). We've got the 20th and 21st and can go anywhere within a 3 hour drive of Sac or Stockton. No preference as far as lake or river, but trout will be the goal. We could even do a lake one day and a river the next, or vice versa. We're just looking for a few ideas to kick around. From the board I've heard good things about New Melones, so that might be one possibility. Thanks in advance for any and all ideas, and I look forward to posting a (hopefully) successful report!

-Ben

PS - one day we'll be able to afford a guide, this isn't that day! :(

Flycanoe
01-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Check out these pictures of fish caught in the last week at New Melones. Awesome!

http://www.gloryholesports.com/pictures_of_the_past.htm

Another nearby lake you might consider is Amador; the fishing there is also excellent right now (but also more expensive).

Ben Kobrin
01-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Flycanoe - thanks for the reply! Those things are mutants! Might have to reserve one of the days and give Melones some attention. That would certainly be a great way to start the year. I'd probably be forced to strap the kayak onto the car if we were to head there?

I was also thinking Amador. The thought was to hit the Mokelumne River one day and Amador the next (or vice versa). Have you heard anything about the Moke above Pardee? As far as beauty goes, I like this stretch of the river more than the section below Camanche. Thanks.

-Ben

Hairstacker
01-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Ben, regarding Melones, I would also check the "Trout" section of the Fishsniffer board for related threads. I recall there are two main access points that most folks use to get into Melones on the East side, and it seemed some were doing better at the South entrance on the East side. You may also pick up some tips on how deep and how close to shore the fish are holding. Good luck!

Flycanoe
01-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Flycanoe - thanks for the reply! Those things are mutants! Might have to reserve one of the days and give Melones some attention. That would certainly be a great way to start the year. I'd probably be forced to strap the kayak onto the car if we were to head there?

I was also thinking Amador. The thought was to hit the Mokelumne River one day and Amador the next (or vice versa). Have you heard anything about the Moke above Pardee? As far as beauty goes, I like this stretch of the river more than the section below Camanche. Thanks.

-Ben

I believe the Moke river above Pardee is closed now. The Moke below Camanche is still a very nice river and a good one to hit this time of year for both trout and steelhead. I was there last Oct and will be visiting it again in the near future.

As for Melones, I think the fishing is good right now at all the access points, Tuttletown, Glory hole and Angles Cove. The fish are very shallow and close to shore, but they are also very scattered. So you either need to spend a lot of time at a spot waiting for the them to cruise by or you need to troll the shore to find them.

Ben Kobrin
01-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Thank's for the heads up on the Moke. I know that the lower river opened up on Jan 1 and I just assumed that the upper was the same. That would have been a bad mistake!

Looks like the kayak on Melones may be the ticket. Still over a week left to plan so if anyone has any other ideas, please chime in. Thanks to all.

-ben