PDA

View Full Version : Jet boat at the hatchery!?

WinterrunRon
01-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Saw two guys in a jet boat motoring up to the hatchery joy ridding Saturday on my walk down to the river. Before I could, ahem... advise them accordingly, they turned and motored downstream.

BTW, Sunday there were thirty five guys, two drift boats and three pontoon boats. I hooked a beautiful hen and fought her for three minutes or so before she came unbuttoned. Came damn close to landing her but no cigar. An honest 9-11, maybe 12lb bright fish with a hint of pink coloring on the cheek and side. Very solid. Biggest fish hooked this season by far. She was a dandy. Oh well...

Ron

PS I didn't see anyone else hook up except one bait bankie who lost his, too.

Jasonh
01-07-2007, 10:47 PM
Ron, most likely DFG as they have been doing redd and fish counts in the upper river this last week. I saw them earlier in the week jetting up and down the sunrise area.

WinterrunRon
01-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Boat didn't look very DFGish. White pleasure-craft type, but I hope you're right, Jason. I didn't get a good look.

I feel better...

Ron

Jasonh
01-07-2007, 11:07 PM
The one i have seen is white and they have a 150 horse johnson outboard on it. The one i saw last week had some railing on the fron that two guys were leaning againts to do the counts. Hopefully that was it. They usually tear up the water pretty good and could care less if people are around fishing.

Hooked any of your fish on the spey rod? Or is it still a steelhead virgin?

WinterrunRon
01-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Jason,

Sounds like the boat.

I fished religiously with it today determined to get my first adult steelhead... and I did! ... but didn't land her. Huge, bright hen, biggest fish I've hooked this season. Fought her for about two or three minutes or so before she just came unbuttoned. I was really bummed. Haven't been to the Trinity since mid November so I've only fished for steelhead on the American since then twice late in December and a couple of days after the 1st. So, one finally hooked but I have yet to land my first.

I'll get it this week!

Ron