PDA

View Full Version : accident on the Smith

hookedupanglers
01-06-2007, 07:58 PM
If you have not heard already, there was an accident on the Smith river this week. The two clients survived, but the guide drowned. After reading the post form the guy who lost his canoe on the Yuba, it makes you aware of the danger we all encounter while enjoying the things we love to do. Nothing can prepare you for the moment when things go wrong except experience. Im sure we have all hade mishaps while enjoying the outdoors, Its just that safety should be our #1 goal. Please be careful, and take the necessary precautions to limit the risk factor.

We do not wish to see anyone lose their lives while pursuing there passion in life.

sculpin
01-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Do you or anyone have any details about what happened over there ?

Mark

WinterrunRon
01-06-2007, 11:32 PM
I, for one, do not want to die doing what I love...

Prayers to the family of the victim.

Ron

Ed Wahl
01-06-2007, 11:50 PM
Ron, I agree with your second sentence wholeheartedly, it is a tragedy. The first sentence however, I disagree wholeheartedly. When my time comes, I would rather it happen while fishing than any other time. Beats getting hit by a drunk driver or the big C any day. Hat's off to man, he died doing what he loved. Ed

SteelieD
01-07-2007, 12:00 AM
As bad as is sucks to lose a life in an accident, I'm with Ed. Better an accident on a river fishing than an accident on the commute to work.

Prayers to his family.

WinterrunRon
01-07-2007, 12:22 AM
Ed/SteelieD,

I certainly understand your point of view, gentlemen. But if I died fishing, it meant I died too soon. No sir, I'd prefer to pass on after I've exhausted ALL my fishing days and I'm left with nothing but the memories, too old and weak to be on the river but wishing I was there! But I do agree with you Ed and SteelieD, given the choice of being hit by a DUI driver on my way to the river or work or getting the big C... drowning seems, well, merciful.

Just be careful... God loves you and I bet many other's do too...

Ron

JerryInLodi
01-07-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm with you Ron. When I go at 129 years old it will be in a rocking chair after spending a good day on the water pulling in seven to ten stripers. I'll be looking at the holographic movies projected into the center of the room from my onboard cinema system of the battles fought that day between man and fish. I'll just slowly slip away with a smile on my face.

If they had invented the whole system when I was 20 I might have had it installed in my bedroom when I was young and be watching something else instead when I slowly slipped away! Those days are long gone now and there wouldn't be much to film.

Digger
01-07-2007, 10:38 AM
http://www.triplicate.com/news/story.cfm?story_no=2360

fallriverfish
01-07-2007, 05:56 PM
A guides nightmare come true. I think we need to start advocating the use of auto inflate pdf's. They are comfortable and unobtrusive. Better yet maybe Coast Gaurd and DFG need to make it standard equipment on all rivers. I heard a story about a couple of brothers losing there lives on the Trinity this summer. Many states require them.

Keep those wading belts on and adjusted. I don't think Jack LaLanne(in his prime) could push off the bottom with waders full of water.

Bummer

bigtj
01-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Hindsight is 20-20, but from the information in the article is seems that if he had access to a knife he could have cut the anchor rope. Things happen really fast in the water but having a knife handy that can be opened with one hand is nearly as important as a PFD.

The Smith is about as easy of a river to float in the world. The fact that someone got in trouble there shows that no matter where you fish there is danger. Some times you're number is called, and it's time to go, whether it's a boating accident or a car accident. I just feel bad for what the family must be going through it must be agonizing.

mark m
01-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Boat flips, angler missing

Published: January 6, 2007

Click this picture to view a larger image.

A Coast Guard helicopter out of Eureka searches for a missing angler on the Smith River early Friday night.
The Daily Triplicate/Bryant Anderson

By Bill Choy

Triplicate Staff Writer

Law enforcement officials continued to search the Smith River late Friday evening, hoping to find a Crescent City man swept down the river in the Hiouchi area that afternoon.

Del Norte County Sheriff's Department Commander Bill Steven said search crews planned to be out at 7 a.m. this morning in hopes of finding Chester Bolen, 39.

This includes a Coast Guard helicopter from Eureka, and a sheriff's boat and personal watercraft.

Steven expressed hope that Bolen could still be alive, perhaps clutching onto branches in the river, or on the shoreline, suffering from hyperthermia and too weak to get help.

"I wouldn't be surprised to find Chester alive, but a lot is going against him, but we're optimistic," he said.

Bolen and Steven Restad, 39, of Eugene, were enjoying the day fishing in a drift boat on the Smith River, between Jedediah Smith State Park and the Hiouchi Bridge.

The day turned treacherous when the boat's anchor ended up being knocked into the water between 3:30 p.m. and 4 p.m., Steven said.

The anchor became hung-up and started to drag the small boat under the water, dropping Bolen and Restad into the cold, swift river.

Neither man had on any flotation devices, Steven said.

Restad was able to swim to shore and was assisted by people at the shoreline. Authorities were contacted a short time later.

Restad told authorities the last time he saw Bolen, he was trying to stay afloat, but was being pushed down the river by the swift current.

A Coast Guard helicopter, a California Highway Patrol plane, sheriff's officials and members of the department's search and rescue team, the Smith River, Hiouchi and Fort Dick fire departments, a sheriff's boat, the CHP, California Fish and Game, and Redwood National and State Park officials helped in the search for Bolen, Steven said.

Dive team members from the sheriff's department were also at the scene on standby.

By nightfall, there was no sign of the missing man.

But the darkness did not keep searchers from looking for Bolen, as they continued to scan the river and surrounding shoreline – lighting the area – looking for any trace of Bolen.

Debris from the boat was discovered floating in the river, Steven said.

He said it was fortunate Restad could swim ashore, despite wearing heavy clothing while battling the swift current and the extremely cold river water.

It's vital to always carry flotation devices on a boat, Steven said. He said it makes sense to carry flotation devices "when you're in swift, cold water on a cold January day."

But it also makes sense "on a warm July day," as well, Steven said