PDA

View Full Version : Cat pee

Gregg
01-05-2007, 01:15 AM
I'm an idiot. I know. I left my vest in the garage with some other gear after fishing and a cat decided to spray it. It's right on the back yoke so, while not terribly noticeable, still gives off a not-too-pleasant odor when the wind is to my back. Any ideas on getting the funk out? Can you dry clean vests? I need to take better care of my things... #-o

Ed Wahl
01-05-2007, 05:53 AM
Now you gotta pee on it yourself, show him whose vest it really is. 8)

john
01-05-2007, 07:16 AM
You can get a bottle of carpet cleaner that's made for cat and dog stuff. Or mix up some vinrgar and water, spray it down and let it dry.

Darian
01-05-2007, 08:53 AM
mmmm,.... Ever hear of a washing machine :?: :?: :?: Unless you want to have all of the female, feral cats following you around while you're out there fishing, I suggest you wash it..... :lol: :lol:

Nip Hadlock
01-05-2007, 09:40 AM
:idea: Try the reliable de-skunking formula:

In a bucket, mix:

1 quart of FRESH hydrogen peroxide (available at your local drugstore or grocery store in the health care aisle)

1/4 cup baking soda

1 teaspoon liquid soap

Soak, rinse, repeat...

Might be cheaper than dry cleaning... 8)

...and it might keep you from getting skunked in that vest! :lol: :lol: :lol:

flytrap
01-05-2007, 10:47 AM
While the de-skunking formula will likely work, you could also head to your local pet shop to get some Nature's Miracle or similar product that uses enzymes to breakdown the funky evil that is cat pee.

jbird
01-05-2007, 11:16 AM
Now you gotta pee on it yourself, show him whose vest it really is

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gregg
01-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the heads up guys. I think I'll take Ed's route on this one. :lol: :lol: :lol: I think the natures miracle should work, and I should have known that. My wife is a vet tech and we buy the stuff by the gallon. And yes, Darian, I have "heard of a washing machine". Unfortunatley, simply washing an item which has been sprayed won't take the odor out... Anyhow, just wanted to be sure that whatever treatment I decided to use wouldn't damage the vest too much...

Ed Wahl
01-05-2007, 08:55 PM
If you need any more help just let me know, I'll pee on it for you. :lol:

David Lee
01-05-2007, 09:25 PM
( Picturing Ed urinating w/ one foot on the Cats head ....... strange - he seemed so keen on my Cats :? )

EEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW . :puke:

David :D

OregonSalmon
01-06-2007, 09:05 AM
The cat pee story reminds me of going fishing/camping years ago. Had all my stuff on my buddy's driveway, my new sweatshirt on top of my clothes bag and his cat Hebo wandered over and sprayed on it. Years earlier he crapped on my shoe while we were rescuing him from a Pacific City motel. That damn cat really had it in for me which reminds me of the old saying "a little urine to the right, a little urine to the left, and urine there!!!!

David Lee
01-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Gallen -

Did you convert him into dubbing ??

David :D

sculpin
01-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Boy , this could turn into a fun thread and Gallen's funny post brought up a lot of memories about feline antics in my past that were not to plesant for me , although I'm sure the cats got a good chuckle out of them .
For the pee stories the most recent was Jbird and I went to the East Cape fishing last year and were in a hurry jaming and stuffing things for the trip . I grabbed a back up rod out of my shop I hadn't used in a while that had a sock already on it and we stuffed it in Jay's big bazooka rod case . When we went through TSA we were worried they would un bundle every thing and make it difficult to get everything stuffed back in. They just opened it up for a short look and that was it . Well when we got down to Baja and Jay opened it up the bazooka after being closed up in the heat it brought tears to his eyes . A cat had let the rod sock on the rod from the shop have it and we didn't notice it. We decided to leave it alone and use it for the return trip home hoping it would keep the TSA from doing to much damage. So I guess we should find a cat to let our stuff have it on every trip.
I'll save the story about a cat my wife had when we first got married that I hated and was woke up one night with the cat sitting on my chest taking a leak for another time . It's a long winter.

Mark

SteelieD
01-06-2007, 05:55 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark, I have a cat like that now. Somehow he feels the need to show me and my clothes who is the alpha male in the house on a regular basis. Since I don't have as good a sense of smell as my wife, it's usually when we've gotten into the car to go somewhere that it gets noticed! :puke:

01-07-2007, 03:17 AM
:D I like cats 50 yards out and in my crosshairs :twisted:

Gregg
01-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Natures Miracle worked great. Thanks for the tips guys. :)

bigtj
01-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Nature's miracle is the only thing I've found that works. Sounds like it worked for you.

A few years ago one of my kitties decided to start using the heater vents as a litter box. As you can imagine, when the heater kicked on it didn't smell too good in house! We use tinfoil to keep them away from things, they hate to step on tinfoil. So perhaps you can protect agains a repeat performance by guarding your fishing stuff with a tinfoil barrier.

Good luck.

A Matthews
01-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Gregg, I think you should get your vest dry cleaned. Or, at least talk to a dry cleaner about what to do based on the fabric your vest is made from.

I recently learned a thing or two about this since my girlfriend's cat peed on my leather coat just in time for Christmas. :shock: (I'm still waiting on the diagnosis from the dry cleaner on whether I can wear it again) I prefer other presents the cat sometimes leaves out for us. They are much easier to clean.

Anyways, male cat pee is really strong The stink may just get worse if you put your vest it in the washing machine. Avoid hot water at all costs! You could wind up in a situation where the whole vest stinks instead of the back of it. That would really suck.