PDA

View Full Version : BIG BAD BASS SWAP

SullyTM
01-04-2007, 09:00 AM
It can float...it can sink...but, it has to be BAD! :D

Time for the first swap of 2007. I'll host and it's open to the first 7 swappers(total of 8 with the swap miester...so 8 flies to be tied) who have a bass fly that is BAD!

Rules of engagement:
1. Due date for receiving flies Monday, February 12. NO LATE FLIES!
2. SAE sent with flies.
3. Toe tags please.

1. SullyTM - Lloyd Gonzales 'Schoolfish' pattern
2. Darian - Calcasieu Pig Boat
3. David Lee - TBD
4. Mike N - Bad A$$ Worm
5. Flycanoe - Olive Wooly Bugger
6. Jay Murakoshi - Hairy Crank Bait

SWAP IS CLOSED!

Thanks. Thom

Darian
01-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Hi Thom,.... Sign me up for my version of a Calcasieu Pig Boat.... 8) 8) 8)

David Lee
01-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Yup yup -

Put me down for ....... sumpthin' y'all DON'T tye :evil: :evil: :evil:

I sure hope everyone follows through on this one .

David :)

SullyTM
01-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Darian, David...Welcome aboard. Anybody new to tying want to join us?

Later...Thom

David Lee
01-05-2007, 09:22 PM
C'mon guys ...... I'm shocked that this one hasn't filled up yet !!

Where's the JPIGS , Taps Bugs , Hairy Cranks , Leo Poppers , etc. ?????

At this rate .... I might even submit TWO different bugs per tyer :idea:

David :evil: :evil:

Hairstacker
01-05-2007, 10:28 PM
I seriously considered joining in with some Tap's Bugs but didn't feel confident I could get 8 half-decent ones to the swapmeister by Feb 12 without getting stressed, so. . . . :(

David Lee
01-05-2007, 10:43 PM
I seriously considered joining in with some Tap's Bugs but didn't feel confident I could get 8 half-decent ones to the swapmeister by Feb 12 without getting stressed, so. . . . :(

Hmmmm ..... how 'bout some of them white/red head , lead-eye thingies you tyed a while back ?? I bet those'll tear Bass up , and they can't take THAT long .... :P

David :D :D :D

jbird
01-05-2007, 11:01 PM
David

I was seriously considering jumping in with the JPIG, But I was too slow on the draw and saw Darian going with the Pig Boat. I thought the two were too similar to participate. If a vote fell in favor of the JPIG joining the swap, I'll do it.?

Jay

Hairstacker
01-05-2007, 11:29 PM
David, are you referring to those ones I tied for the creek? I only fished 'em once, if I recall correctly, and they did catch fish but they weren't "BAD!" enough in my opinion. :lol:

Besides a Clouser, my largemouth box is only stocked with 3 patterns, and I do consider all 3 "BAD!". :D However, all 3 are challenging and time-consuming for me to tie really well with no visible flaws.

Darian
01-05-2007, 11:47 PM
Jay,.... I don't think our flies are so similar that there isn't some significant difference.... Please consider jumping in. 8) 8) 8)

David Lee
01-05-2007, 11:57 PM
J -

TWO votes for the JPIG !!

Mike - I understand . Still ... I liked them !!

David :D

mike N
01-06-2007, 12:19 AM
Put me down for a bad a$$ worm. Well it's not that bad but it catches fish.

MN

SullyTM
01-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Mike...I understand about time-consuming flies. Wooly Buggers are easy to tie :wink: :lol:

JBird...Makes no difference if your pattern is "similar"...Come on, join us!

Mike N...Glad you jumped in!

Thanks. Thom

Flycanoe
01-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Ok, I would like to participate, but I'm not an experienced bass fisherman so I'm not sure if what I have to offer is bad enough. Maybe you could help me decide what to do.

I would like to offer 1 of the following 2 flies, but tied with a bigger hook.

Marabou minnow pattern
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n59/ldorius/steelhead%20flies/Tied%20Flies/ChubbMinnow.jpg

Wooly bugger pattern
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n59/ldorius/steelhead%20flies/Tied%20Flies/OliveWoolyBugger.jpg

Let me know which one is best for bass and what size.

jbird
01-06-2007, 09:05 PM
I am sorry guys. I dont think I'm gonna have the time to partake in this one. :oops: :cry: I thought I might have a chance to squeeze out one here and one there, but I just discovered that I have no materials to complete this fly to boot. If you dont have another swap before spring, I can send one out to whomever wants one at that time. I'm sure I'll be tyin bass flies aplenty by then.

I will be very interested to see the flies that get tossed around in this swap. I would also love to come join you guys at one of your bass gatherings :)

Jay

Darian
01-06-2007, 11:10 PM
flycanoe,... Either of those flies will catch Bass and be good for the swap. Hooks can range in size on the Bugger from 6 to 2/0 (even larger in some places). 8) 8) I vote for the Bugger as it's the most versatile of the two flies (IMHO). 8) 8) 8)

SullyTM
01-07-2007, 10:14 AM
jbird...There will be more swaps. I hear you about lack of materials. I have just enough for the pattern and number of flies in this swap.

flycanoe...Ditto Darian. WB are always welcome in any fly box!

Later...

David Lee
01-13-2007, 10:34 AM
I am sorry guys. I dont think I'm gonna have the time to partake in this one. :oops: :cry: I thought I might have a chance to squeeze out one here and one there, but I just discovered that I have no materials to complete this fly to boot. If you dont have another swap before spring, I can send one out to whomever wants one at that time. I'm sure I'll be tyin bass flies aplenty by then.

I will be very interested to see the flies that get tossed around in this swap. I would also love to come join you guys at one of your bass gatherings :)

Jay

I'd LOVE to try one of the maroon/orange JPigs !! Whenever you have a few extras .....

By the way ..... ANYTIME you (or any of our other out-of-towners) get the urge to come down and fish for a couple of days ..... we'll work out a place to stay :idea:

David :D

SullyTM
01-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Received David's flies today :nod: Outstanding! These puppies have Bass ON written all over them.

Thanks David.

Thom

jbird
01-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Davidlee

I just saw your post. I wil tie some after winter steelhead season winds down, right when bass season starts to light up. I will tie a few for ya.

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
01-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Sully,

I guess I better start tying flies. All or most of the flies I had for the swap, I gave away to two clubs and sold a couple dozen at the Sac show yesterday.
How many flies "6".

I'll have them to you by the due date

Jay

SullyTM
01-19-2007, 01:16 PM
Jay...All you need to tie is 5 unless you want one returned to you with the other flies...then it's 6. Due date is Feb. 12. Plenty of time.

Thanks. Thom

Jay Murakoshi
01-20-2007, 12:15 AM
Sully,

The hairy crank bait flys might go out on monday. All I have to do is glue on the bill and eyes.

Did you post an address where to send them

Thanks

Jay

SullyTM
01-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Jay...Check your PM.

Thanks.

Jay Murakoshi
01-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Let's try this again. Not the best photo

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/hairyCrankbait.jpg

Mailing them out tomorrow morning

Jay

Darian
01-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Fire Tiger colors..... Great lookin' flies. I can see how a Bluegill version of the fly would make a great floater/diver for the Delta. :D :D

Jay Murakoshi
01-21-2007, 05:29 PM
Darian,

I've been working on a blue gill pattern. Just trying to figure out how to incorporate 5 different colors in layers, horizontally.

Jay

SullyTM
01-21-2007, 08:34 PM
:thumbsup: Those look terrific Jay!

Thanks for posting a photo.

Hairstacker
01-21-2007, 08:54 PM
Those do look great! I really like the color combo and how you stacked the red on the bottom after you spun the chartreuse and black. 8)

Jay Murakoshi
01-21-2007, 10:12 PM
I will be tying this pattern at the Pleasanton show. Also the frog pattern, rattle trap (if I can get the thing balanced). I need to find some smaller rattles.

Jay

SullyTM
01-23-2007, 09:04 AM
Mike's Bad A$$ Worms are in hand! These puppies are going to catch some BIG bass.

Thanks. Thom

mike-n
01-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Glad you like them, Thom.

MN

Flycanoe
01-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Finished my flies last night and they will be in the mail by tomorrow.

SullyTM
01-23-2007, 10:37 AM
:D Looks like this swap will end early! Now all we have to do is wait for some warm Bass weather!

Thanks everyone...

Darian
01-23-2007, 05:23 PM
Hey guys,.... following is a link to the pic of my variation of the Calcasieu PigBoat tied for the swap:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/jockscot/DSCN0103.jpg

(Have been experiencing some problems making the image post here.)

The pattern is:

Hook: Gamakatsu, B-10, size 1/0
Thread: white, size A
Tail: chartreuse/silver fleck Fly Tail (latex)
Body: sparkle chenille, white w/pearl flash
Hackle: chartreuse w/black fleck silicone spinner bait skirt
Head: Crosse Eyed Cone (silver)
Eyes: 3-D eyes, red w/black pupil

SullyTM
01-24-2007, 07:30 AM
...and the photo doesn't do the fly justice! Received Darian's flies. Excellent fly. Darian flies are tight and the attention to detail is to be commended.

Next up...Mr. Murakoshi's Hairy Crank Bait. Open his box this AM and proceeded to put his flies under the microscope. Jay, this is a very creative fly. You fellas are going to enjoy this fly. The deer hair is tightly spun and with the "lip"(how did he tie that in??) the action of this fly will drive the bass nuts!

One more fly to be sent and this swap will be wrapped up. Thanks everyone.

SullyTM
01-30-2007, 04:50 PM
All flies received...all flies out in the mail!

Thanks everyone.

mike N
01-30-2007, 09:02 PM
Thankyou!

Flycanoe
02-02-2007, 09:59 AM
I have a question about this fly. Should it be fished with a floating on top or sinking line? Thanks.

Let's try this again. Not the best photo

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/jaysflies/hairyCrankbait.jpg

Mailing them out tomorrow morning

Jay

Darian
02-02-2007, 10:59 AM
I probably shouldn't be speaking for Jay but the name of the fly and it's configuration indicates how it is intended to be fished. 8) 8) It's a subsurface fly that could be fished as a floater/diver or completely submerged. 8)

Think of it as plug casting. Try using a sinktip line with a fast sink rate for the floater/diver method and a full sinking line for deeper fishing. 8) Of course, I wouldn't rule out a floating line over dense weeds, either. 8) 8) Just plunk it down on a Bass pond and drive them fish wild. :wink: :wink:

Jay Murakoshi
02-02-2007, 01:25 PM
I fish the fly with a floating line. The faster and harder you strip, the deeper it should go. With a floating line, you can work the fly through grassy areas, over stumps and clear bottoms. On the pause the fly will surface somewhat. If I come to a heavy cluster of branches, I will take the fly to the edge of the wood and then let it surface alittle and then pull it over the wood.
With a sinking line, the fly could stay deep and could possibly get caught in heavy structure, not from the fly but from the sinking fly line.

I'm working on two designs of frogs. One on a hook and the other tied on a tube. Trying to figure out and design some "kicking" legs.

Jay