PDA

View Full Version : What Lines For Drakes Beach?

Tony Buzolich
01-03-2007, 07:51 AM
You guys (Anne, you're one of the guys too) sure look like you're having fun using those light weight rods but I don't think I've heard anyone mention what line they're using. Maybe it's a stupid question knowing you're only ankle to knee deep and a floating line would more than cover the depth of the water. I was wondering if maybe a light head of T-8 would work? or maybe that IS what you're using.

Keep the posts coming,
TONY

01-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Recently, I've been fishing the suds with T8 cut down to 12-ft & 16-ft for respective 00- & 0-wt Sage TXL's. The Amnesia 15-lb (black) mono serves as the running line. The head gets down sufficiently in moderate current & fairly shallow surf. What I like about the light set-up is the sensitivity it provides in detecting the subtlest of grabs. The shorter head doesn't sag in the current as much, compared to a full 30-ft head. But there are times when I wish I had a longer/heavier head to fish the deeper holes & pockets. I'm thinking of next trying a floating line with these rods for fishing the slackwater when the surf conditions are appropriate.

- Mark

Loren E
01-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Hey Tony, i think for when fishing anywhere with some real surf coming in a floating line is tough as anytime a wave comes in it pushes all the floating line in at you, where as a running line behind a shooting head cuts through the waves better(although fishing ankle deep water is common, i'd say average depth i work my flies in is probably more like 3-5 feet, and some holes can be much deeper). i think a floater would only work well in the situations Mark was talking about when you are somewhere as calm and protected as the west end of drake's. for the most part, a type 3 or type 6 head with a intermediate running line is all you need. tight lines

Anne Vitale
01-19-2007, 03:23 PM
Tony...I'm a couple of days late on this but since you included me as one of the guys I thought I would chime in.

I line my Sage VPS 3 wt with a 19 ft head of T8 and black 30 lb amnesia. I use the same setup on my 5wt. I use the 30lb amnesia because it is easier to find with my left hand when it is time to reach over and strip the line in. The rig seems to get to the bottom very quickly. Another nice thing about throwing the T8 is that it is real easy on the arm and shoulder even after a whole half tide cycle.

I haven't tried this setup on a heavy duty north facing beach yet so how it will work out in that environment still needs to be seen. ....Anne

larsj
01-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Hi folks,

I'll chime in too.. my current setup is a sage TCR 690 with a rio 'outbound' type 8 line, for a 6 weight. Nicely balanced setup, that throws the weighted perch flies just fine. If conditions allow for a floating line, I throw a rio 8-weight bonefish line with same rod. I like that stiff floating line; it seems to tangle less in the basket, and no memory issues once its been given a good stretch. I wish the running line of the outbound line was stiffer.

I have also in the past used leadcore heads, T-14, T-8, sinktips, etc.

I realize that using a floater is unusual for this type of fishing, but can be very successful and useful in some situations; I remember one day where I dredged kelp-salad on every cast with the sinker, but caught perch using the floater or intermediate line I switched to. Surf has to be pretty calm, though.

regards,
--Lars

01-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Hey Lars,

If you or anyone else is interested in taking a floating line to the suds this winter, the Monterey Bay/Santa Cruz beaches currently feature some very nice shore structure that should fish quite nicely with such a setup during the minus tide when the swells are mild. I scouted the area last night & found surf conditions to be pretty decent for trying a floating or a sink-tip with floating intermediate line system when the tide's out. There's an abundance of channels, troughs & other sandy pockets that are within easy casting reach from shore during the last hour or so of the outgoing. Many of the channels & cuts featured nervous slackwater & slow-moving current that looked fishable with a floating setup. This weekend's weather & surf along the sheltered portions of Monterey Bay are forecast to be fair during the afternoon slacktide - hmmmm, where, oh where, to go fishing....? :wink:

- Mark

mike N
01-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Tony,

I used 18' of T-8 and that flat amnesia for running line on my 3 wt when I hit the coast on thanksgiving. that set up cast quite nicely and I was feeling the bottom pretty well. I did not have the results that myflyzdown had though. I am basically clueless when it comes to SW fishing.

MN

01-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Hey Mike,

Don't feel so bad - I'm just as clueless when it comes to fishing freshwater. I spend more time fly fishing the suds than lakes, streams or rivers. The few times I've fished practically shoulder to shoulder with others on a river have been pretty futile. I often have the deer-in-the-headlight expression on my face wondering why everyone else's catching shad, trout or whatever else is biting while my flies remain practically untouched (& no, I don't bring any bananas with me when I fish freshwater). As many others have often alluded, there are no easy ways to master the game...:wink:

- Mark