PDA

View Full Version : Port of Sacramento , 1/1/2007

David Lee
01-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Happy New Year !!

COLD :shock: (!!!!) , windy , clear . No grabs . Didn't see the bait/gear savages catch anything , either .

Nice way to spend an afternoon , I tell ya !

Ooooops !! One more thing - used the S.A. Custom-tip for the first time today .... it handles VERY nice (cut mine to 28 feet for an RPLX-8 wt.) , sinks like mad , and shoots better than almost any other line I've used .

S.A. needs to start making those w/ a 100 foot runner and a 35 foot head - that would be PERFECT for the TFO 12x12 :idea: :idea: :idea:

Hope you boys had a good evening , and I hope your hangovers ain't too bad ..... :evil:

David :D

Tony Buzolich
01-02-2007, 06:06 AM
Happy New Year David.

The S/A Custom Tip comes with a 36' head portion. I don't know about the length of the running line but I believe the total length is 100'.

Now for some guys :D that's not enough. But for most of us it is.

Curious, What's a TFO 12X12? Spey? Haven't got in to that yet.

TONY

SullyTM
01-02-2007, 08:59 AM
...hopefully you had a outboard motor this time :D

sculpin
01-02-2007, 09:07 AM
David any flyline that has a braided core can be spliced with a smooth transition that wont come apart . It's kinda fun trying different configurations to see how they work. Happy New year and I hope you figure out the POS this year .

Mark

Terry Thomas
01-02-2007, 11:18 AM
For the record: the head portion of the Custom Tip Express is 33 feet. This line has been very popular in the shop. For most rods of 8 wt. cutting five feet off seems to work out great. That being said, you can always cut more off, but you can't add on. Start a little longer and see how it loads your rod and "cut" from there.
T.

sculpin
01-02-2007, 11:49 AM
RE Splicing . I took a look at the spec's of the SA Custom Tip Express and it is a mono core so it looks like splicing is not an option . :(

David Lee
01-02-2007, 05:26 PM
Tony -

The TFO 12x12 is NOT a Spey rod .... it's designed for overhead casting , tossing 400-700 grain heads and HouseCat-sized flies WAAAAAAAY the hell out there . I have a few long (38-41 foot) heads for mine , I was just wishing that the Custom tip was a bit longer .....

Thom -

Nope . Force-fins . Mucho-chilly out there ....

Mark -

HNY to you , as well !! I'll get the POS sorted .... sooner or later .

Terry -

You are correct regarding the Custom tip . Nice Steelie , BTW .....

David :D