PDA

View Full Version : Lower Sac!

matooka
01-01-2007, 01:33 AM
HAPPY NEW YEAR: I fished the not so Mighty Sac (5500 cfs) last Wed. and had a really productive day...windy as all get up! Fished it again today with the wife and both kids. As I launched the outboard jet at the Posse Grounds, a gentlemen launching his driftboat happened to be fishing the previous Wednesday as well! He went right for the jugular and asked me, "how come I was so successful that day hooking fish"? Of course, I replied... "what are you throwing"? Like everyone and their mother...except for the purest, he's throwing exactly what I'm throwing...and he's using the same colored nail polish!!! The difference is...I'm dredging the bottom with some serious weight. I'm using 2.2 grams of Dinsmore...an SSG and an AB. I'm getting it down and I'm getting it down quickly! Who says the fish aren't hanging out in the fast stuff??? At 30K cfs...I'm using 3 SSG right down the middle of the Posse Riffle! Remember...tick, tick, tick! Get your presentation to the bottom of the runs where the fish are holding!

P.S.- Usually I favor the 3X to 4X on the Lower Sac...however, the trout are fat and feisty right now. Go 2X to 3X in faster water and you'll significantly up your chances of landing the big one! Of course, your take ratio will be reduced, but at least you'll be saving on tippet and hardware!