PDA

View Full Version : S. Fork Smith

Digger
12-31-2006, 12:05 PM
Is there anyone here whom considers themselves knowledgable about this river? I wonder if any of our resident experts can share some insight or previous stories about it, (or anyone who's recently fished it for that matter).

Bill, any classic tales at all?

Every year I keep telling myself 'I'm going to try it', but ending up going elsewhere. I've heard some say that the main stem is better, or there's few wading locations, not worth the time, etc.

It would seem that this portion would clear up quickly and be fishable soon after a storm, while the main is still dirty.

Are there any significant differences in tactics? Would like to hear your experiences.
Thanks

jbird
12-31-2006, 02:58 PM
Digger

I fished the mainstem yesterday. The water was pretty high and very little "typical" flywater. I think every guide from a 300 mile radius was on the river. It was beyond rediculous. There was, however, enough fish to go around. If you keep an open mind, almost anything is flyfishable. Just think of traveling lanes that the fish would use. Those fish move constantly, so if you put yourself in a lane, the fish will probably come through. My buddy and I hooked 3 and landed 1. All the hoards of bait slingers were looking at us like we were completely insane. I saw some fish caught that you simply wouldnt believe :shock: chinook sized steelies.
We fished water that most flyfishermen probably wouldnt even glance at...it was tough to say the least.

One other peice of advise. Go with your fly box filled to the brim....it will empty fast!

Jay

Jay

matt johnson
12-31-2006, 05:21 PM
jbird,

Good job! I consider your day to be an outstanding success on the mainstem. I ended my efforts to catch a fish on the mainstem because of all the guide traffic that you mentioned. Sounds like you hit the water just right and had the fish right on the bank. When the river is "in" and green, the boats drift right over the inside travelling lanes, pushing them out into deeper water. Were your getting your hook-ups swinging or indicator fishing?

Digger,

I would go for the South Fork this year. It is a neat place. It clears a little slower than the middle fork. Access is limited, but you can get on plenty of water. Just be prepared for some hard-core bush-whacking and canyon drops. There are only a couple places where the road goes near the water. Matt.

jbird
12-31-2006, 06:14 PM
Matt

We were nymphing with big eggsucking rubberleg nymphs. The fish were right on the bank. In fact my first hookup, I had been fishing a slow current between some willows when i snagged and broke off. I waded out to retie. When I waded back, I hardly even entered the water and roll casted just barely beyond where I was standing before...in some really slow, almost frogwater. I would like to fish the south fork. If you have some info on bank access to the south fork, would you mind PM'ing me with a few details?

Thanks

jay

matt johnson
01-01-2007, 04:19 PM
jbird,

Again, way to go. That is exactly how I would approach the mainstem if I were to do it again. The Smith is really an incredible resource. I just wish more of those who fish it would love their wild steelhead a little more. When I am on the Mattole or S.F. Eel (C&R only) the gear guys are there for the steelhead and the river and it's really a cool scene. Not everyone is like that on the Smith and I don't know how much pressure that fishery can handle. It is depressing... Although I suppose plenty of wild fish make it above the gauntlet on each high water event..

As far as access on the South Fork goes, I don't mean to sound stingy, but I can't really describe exactly where I fished. I have only made one 2.5 day trip to that fork and that was about 5 years ago. I recall the river road crossing the river at two points. There was some water around those crossings. Other than that I remember dropping into the canyon wherever we could see the river... I need to get back there myself this winter and try it again. There is just so much good winter steelhead water out there and so little time. Best of luck if you go. Matt.