PDA

View Full Version : Drake's Beach report 12/30/06

Anne Vitale
12-30-2006, 07:55 PM
I hope you folks aren't getting tired of my reports but I just had to pass on that the fishing at Drake's Beach continues to be good to excellent. I went out this afternoon and met up with Kraig, Bill and Mark from the board. I also met a gentleman named Victor from the board, back in the parking lot as we were degearing (is that a word?).

We hit a wide stretch of the beach over about four hours. There was no wind, the tide was coming in and the water was clean for the most part. The surf was a lot higher then it had been on Friday. Along with a whole slew of small ones I managed four nice fish plus this double on my way back to the parking lot :D . All in all a nice way to make new friends and spend a Saturday afternoon. I am not sure how the others did. Hopefully they will chime in.
http://www.avitale.com/SP2x2.png

sculpin
12-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Post away Anne I am enjoying your beach fishing. I never get bored reading fishing reports and looking at pictures.

Mark

12-31-2006, 10:56 AM
Hey Anne,

Check your email.

WTG on your double! I was using the 00-wt TXL yesterday, but your rod really looked like a noodle - what were you high sticking those fish with? Boy, that was a lot of fun. It's not often that I see a line-up along the Pt. Reyes surfline around this time of the year :D...

http://home.att.net/~rubberlip.perch/Dec30-06/123006im-9.jpg

A few of the BSP's were showing dark mating colors, so it's definitely that time of the season when the larger male fish start to appear in the suds. Craig & I fished until all we had was the pale light of the moon to see what was in front of us, but the fish were still biting (we could've kept fishing, but had to knock it off when our tippets eventually turned into a birds nest while we were casting blindly in the dark). :(

Hope to get back out there soon - wishing you all a Happy New Year & looking forward to seeing some you out in the surf in 2007! :)

TL's,

Mark

Terry Thomas
12-31-2006, 11:10 AM
Anne,
Thanks for the post. It's always good to hear reports from the coast. Have a Happy New Year.
Terry

k.hanley
12-31-2006, 11:32 AM
Looked like ideal conditions for a winter grab. Perfect quiet before the next storm. Congrats to all of you. Those darker breeding male perch should have some weight as they are loaded with milt. The heavy females won't show until later in the spring and early summer. Of course there are always individual exceptions to any rule (that's called "back peddling on my statement!"). Stay safe out there (winter changes happen in a heartbeat).
Cheers, Ken 8)

k.hanley
12-31-2006, 11:35 AM
PS: Many of the board members might find this interesting reading. Enjoy.
Cheers, Ken
http://www.flyfishnorcal.org/php-nuke/index.php

12-31-2006, 12:13 PM
Hey Ken,

What an excellent & detailed write-up you put together for approaching the California surf with fly fishing in mind. You've touched on a number of important points that seem very subtle on the surface, but ring so true for effectively fishing the suds over a wide range of coastal environments. Finding those "high percentage locations" throughout the year is certainly at the top of my study list. So many lessons to learn... :wink:

Mark

12-31-2006, 12:56 PM
Hey Anne,

I re-read your previous thread & see you were using a 3-wt yesterday (sorry for my previous dunderhead inquiry). That rod of yours really goes bendo under the pull of a chunky perch!

Mark

Anne Vitale
12-31-2006, 06:09 PM
Mark....The "noodle" you were referring to isn't all that small.... at least compared to the 00 wt you were throwing. The rod is a 3 pc Sage VPS 379-3 3wt. I have attached the photo you sent me for any of you other folks who want to know what the heck we are talking about. Quite frankly, I was surprised to see it bent that much as well.

After looking closer to where the sun was behind me, it looks like that picture was taken near the end of my day when I had the double on. Maybe that is why the rod is bent so much.

http://www.avitale.com/FishOn.png

The photo below (also from Mark) is of an earlier catch. Interestingly I caught this fish by fishing back toward the shore. Moments before, I had been casually fishing and walking parallel to the beach in calf deep water. All of a sudden the bottom was gone and I found myself in a large waist deep hole :shock: in the sand. Damn..that wasn't "supposed to be there". But feeling fortunate to have found "structure", I climbed out and fished it. The fish hit on the first cast.

http://www.avitale.com/holdingSP.png

Ken ....That is a great link you sent. Lots of very good info there. I printed it out and added it to my field notes. \:D/

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE...MAY 2007 BE YOUR BEST YEAR EVER..... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Anne

Jay Murakoshi
01-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Anne,

Looks like you had a great adventure fishing the salt. Since I moved over to the valley, I haven't put in alot of time in the surf. Been concentrating on the LMB and Bugle Lips. This year, I will be fishing the southern beaches alot more. I started fishing the beaches back in the 70's with a fly rod purchased from Blue Chip stamps.

It's always exciting when something grabs that fly and starts running out to the Horizon. I've hooked into alot of different species, including a dungeness crab.

Fishing the surf is such an awesome experience. Especially when you have 500 miles of shoreline and most of the time you're the only one on the beach. Speaking of being the only one on the beach, always or try to fish with a partner.

May the perch bite continue

Happy New Year

Jay

Hairstacker
01-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Anne, I will never tire of your reports. Love the pictures! 8)

SullyTM
01-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Nice report Anne...The weather sure looks inviting.

BTW...Is that a homemade stripping box in the last photo?

Thanks.

Thom

Loren E
01-03-2007, 12:38 AM
looks like a great time had by all, hope i can make it out there with all of you guys soon drake's seems to be shaping up really nicely lately