PDA

View Full Version : Lower Stan Opener Jan. 1

dtp916
12-30-2006, 06:56 PM
While I know many of you will be out on the American, I was wondering what the Lower Stan is like on its opening day...I thought about going out to find out for myself. After reading this article http://www.flyfishnorcal.org/php-nuke/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=7 I see the water is pretty high to be a successful trip...Just wondering what you all think of this fishery, I've only fished it once, in the summer. Any advice, tips, flies would be appreciated. 8)

dtp916
12-30-2006, 08:28 PM
Or maybe the Lower Mokelumne would be a better bet :idea: :?: :?: :?: I've never been there...

Flyguy
12-31-2006, 02:56 AM
James,

Lower Stan is a nice river to fish. Since its closer to me than the American I get out there a little more often. Two mile bar is definately the spot to try. Knights Ferry can get crowded ezpecially on the weekends due to the paved parking and Army Corps office in the same parking lot. Two mile bar and down offers a nice open area once you wade in you can cast with no problems, however check what the flows are for wading opportunities.

There are some faster rapids below for some good nymphing. I would definately use a nymphing set up, strike indicator fox poopah with a midge, or even an egg would be good at this time. Small #16-20 range, there are some nice pools that can run a little deep, you may have to add some weight.

I was gonna get out there mid to late Jan, there and Putah Creek. Let me know how it turns out. Give us a report on how you do. Good luck!

Flycanoe
12-31-2006, 11:52 AM
After looking at the flows for both the moke and the stan today, I would go for the moke on the opener. The moke is running about 340cfs below camanche which is ideal. The stan below goodwin just shot back up to over 1200cfs, which will make fishing it more difficult.

Hey Flyguy, your comments on the stan are very helpful as I've fished 2 mile bar only once before. Hope to get out there again in the near future.

Ben Kobrin
12-31-2006, 02:34 PM
Since it's only about a half hour from my house, I think I'm going to hit the Lower Moke. I'm new to fly fishing so this will be my first official opener and I'm looking forward to getting the year started. I just hope the fish will cooperate. As long as their hungry for poorly presented flies delivered with an embarrassing casting technique, I should be in business. Good luck everyone!