PDA

View Full Version : Gregor MX-580 or 780 for delta use - stripers

Marshal
12-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Any comments about the Gregor MX-580 and MX-780 will be appreciated. The 15.5' or 17' side console would be used mainly in delta type waters. The beam is 84 inches and they weigh 500 to 550 lbs..

slimfishin's
12-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Since you asked... I think either of those boats would be fine, but I like the idea of the larger one. Gregor makes a decent boat, but I must say, I don't hold them in the highest esteem.

My experience with Gregor is a bit limited, but I have looked into them quite extensively, as I was looking to buy one. If you were going to buy one, I would buy the larger version - a bit more room, and a bit more sea worthy. The only Gregor I have piloted was a 16.5' Seahawk, with a 2 stroke 40hp. My impression was that the boat was too narrow for its height, and was erratic in the turns - its tough to describe, but I felt like the boat did not handle well in basic maneuvers. For a 16.5' boat, it was also a bit tippy. I felt like the boat was too narrow for how steep the V-hull was, making it tipsy.

At this time, I also have a 17 or 18' Gregor Seahawk center console at work - it is a total death trap. In fact, it hasn't moved this year at all, due to it's reputation for unpredictable handling. Normally it gets a lot of use on the lakes, but has been benched in favor of the Boston Whaler and Koffler Baybee that are also in our fleet. Putting all that aside, I have other issues with Gregor. One is that I don't like their thin hulls - take a look at the hull thickness on most models, and it usually 0.08". I would rather buy an aluminum boat at 0.10" and thicker. The other part is that I don't feel that their underlying structure and framing is very strong. Take a good look under the hatches of a Gregor and you'll see that the floors are riveted to thin aluminum angle. I just get the impression that they are not as well made as I had thought.

If you are going to buy such a boat, I would highly recommend looking into a Klamath. They are a bit more pricey, but I think you will get a much stronger, longer lasting boat. Just my two cents.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-23-2006, 12:48 AM
Those are both nice boats.

I would put a Honda 50hp on the 580.

On the 780 I would put on a Yamaha or Mecury 60hp.

They have them at Buck's Outboard in south Sacramento and at Sutter Marine in Yuba City.

Both are go dealers.

They are both light enough for a Minn Kota Auto-pilot 12 volt /55# thrust bow mounted electric.