PDA

View Full Version : Putah Creek/Blatant drop in?

fallriverfish
12-21-2006, 10:02 AM
Fished Putah on Monday. Pulled up to one of the lower pullouts (stoked no cars there). Me and my buddy start wadering up, rigging up, blah, blah. And all of a sudden this young angler(hat to the side yo boy style) screeches into the pullout (dust flying) and runs down to the water to scope it out. He has his waders on already. It appears that he has never fished this spot by the water he is scopping out. He then runs back to his car and grabs his rod. Well the italian kicks in and I approach the angler and we exchange words. I explain that it is poor form to snake other anlers who are about to fish a spot. He says something about there being enough room for all of us. On this particular bucket it is not the case. The angler put his rod back in the car after a few "its cool dude, its cool" and takes off blaring his horn.(scary!!!!)

If he would of said "Hi" or "Where are you planning on fishing?" this whole thing could of been avoided. I felt like poo and it really bummed the session.

We did stick some fish on micro caddis and midges. One landed over 20".

I have been fishing Putah for 12 years. I have never parked in a spot where there was another car. I don't fish it on weekends because of stuff like this. :(

SteelieD
12-21-2006, 08:58 PM
When you fish that close to a metropolitain area, you are definately more apt to run into guys like that. Chalk it up to bad parenting or whatever. Don't let a bad apple spoil the bunch. Sounds like you've been fishing awhile so you know that as a whole the fly fishing community is one of the kindest.

Sounds like you did well fishing! Good for you.

Dustin Revel
12-21-2006, 09:48 PM
Don't let a bad apple spoil the bunch.

just because he hasn't been taught proper stream etiquette doesn't mean he's a bad apple. if everyone embraced younger anglers our sport and environment will probably be a better place in years to come.

Dusty

SteelieD
12-23-2006, 02:07 AM
Dustin,

In no way did I mean to infer that the inconsiderate behavior was the result of being young. I've encountered people like that in all areas of life and of all ages. It just happens. I only meant to express to fallriverfish not to let it bug him.

That said, I whole heartedly agree with you that we are all stewards of the sport and are reponsible for keeping it as great a community as it is. You are obviously a young man who has his stuff together and knows quite a bit about flyfishing . You are probably more the 'norm' than the guy that fallriver encountered. That guy just hasn't got it... yet. With places like this and people like you, he will.

fallriverfish
01-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Sorry for the delay in responding. Just got back from Mexico. I do feel like I blew it by not teaching better etiquette. I agree that the fly fishing community is one of the kindest and warmest bunch of fishers under the sun. I will do better next time. Happy New Year and Best Fishes.

101fish
01-03-2007, 08:47 AM
Don't be in such a rush to blame the kid. I will still rush down to the stream at times, though I generally try to avoid people-but not always. Sometimes fisherman just get excited to be out on the water fishing. That being said, I know how annoying it can be to have your spot 'jacked' by some one, and, interestingly enough, it is usually middle aged people who have caused me the most trouble (probably because I am a 'kid'). At this point in time, it is great to a younger person out there trying it. Too many flyfisherman are on their last legs right now. Even if it means putting up with ignorance, I try to encourage everyone I know (much to the disappointment of my girl friend) to fish.

Wednesday Caster
01-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Too many flyfisherman are on their last legs right now. LOL :lol:

Ed Wahl
01-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Last legs? You mean we get more than one set? Mine are still in good mechanical condition but have some cosmetic defects. Scars all over the shins from fishing in shorts for years. They still get up the canyons nicely, so maybe I can use them as trade-ins. I think a longer pair would be in order. Ed

smokeater
01-04-2007, 09:06 PM
I think that the location has a bit to do with it. When you are in the middle of about 3 million people some of them either out of ignorance or indifference will drop in right on top of you. I guess I have gotten use to being shoulder to shoulder with people on the American. I went up to the Trinity for the first time last month and I was blown away that when we were fishing a run and another drift boat came down the guides would not only pass behind you but they would actually get out of the boat so they could walk it as close to shore as possible. Most of the time on the American I have boats come right down the middle of the run I'm working, eddy out right in behind me, jump out of the boat and start fishing on either side of me. I even had this pair of boats come down one day.....one boat was fishing the other was filming. They parked right behind me for lunch and one of the camera guys started throwing rocks. I don't know who the fisherman was except I remember seeing him in the Flyfishing Masters tourney. I was blown away.

fallriverfish
01-07-2007, 09:18 AM
It is great when we show eachother some respect. It can make a tough fishing day just a little better. Putah is a unique animal, I think it should be closed during the winter to allow the spawning to take place. Someone throwing rocks into the water well I will hold back on my thoughts on that subject and where that camera should end up at the end of the day.

Fished the Trinity yesterday. Still lots of fish lots of tomatoes eating eggs and stoneflys in yellow and brown.

Digger
01-09-2007, 09:26 PM
hey this is everyday crap down here in the So. Cal metro area.
Try fishing the San Gabriel river, Piru creek or other local waters.
Usually there's people bathing in it or blarring music you can hear for miles.
Some of these places have become uncomfortable to fish, having to constantly look over your shoulder.
We really need more mountain lions locally.