PDA

View Full Version : Book Recommendation Needed (Stillwater)

Matt Frey
12-18-2006, 11:37 PM
Hello
I went fishing at New Melones this last weekend. I had a great time, but I realized that I have no idea what I am doing in stillwater. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on reading that I can do on the subject. I think it might be time to buy a float tube! :D
Thanks in advance,
Matt

derbyshc
12-19-2006, 09:25 AM
I'd check out Randall Kaufmann's Lake Fishing with a Fly and Brian Chan and Skip Morris's Morris & Chan on Fly Fishing Trout Lakes. If you're really on a budget, go with Kaufmann's. If you want a book just on flies, get Phil Rowley's Fly Patterns for Stillwaters. Hope this helps!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Denny Rickards is a very good source for info on fly fishing lakes.

He has written several books, has special flies and puts on seminars as well.

His web site:

http://66.160.140.96/

We carry his books and flies for lake fishing.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Having a float tube, pontoon boat, canoe, kayak, small boat (pram) or an outboard skiff is a big step forward for almost any lake fishing.

Some lakes or parts of lakes are conducive to shore fishing or edge wading but getting out on the water is a big advantage.

Timing is key in almost any fishery but it is crucial in lakes.

Big low elevation reservoirs like New Melones are best in the Fall, Winter and Spring for trout because this is the time when the surface is cooler and the fish will be up near the top and along the edges so you can get a fly to them.

In mid-summer they can be 30 to 60 feet deep which pretty much rules out fly fishing for most.

Spring and Fall are best for warm water species. In the Winter and Summer they are usually too deep.