PDA

View Full Version : Lee S. -

David Lee
12-17-2006, 09:19 AM
Care to tell us more about those HUGE Clear lake Crappies you mentioned ????

David :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-17-2006, 10:53 AM
Yes, Where are the biggest Crappie caught in Nor Cal?

Use to be some big ones in New Hogan before they put the Stripers in there.

My friend Harry Boley got a 3# plus Crappie on a white Rooster-tail spinner years ago in the south side of the Sacramento Bypass. He had it mounted by Brunetti Brothers in Ripon, CA.

Clear Lake has been famous for Crappie sense the bigging of time.

When I worked at West Capitol Rod & Gun (the bait shop) we sold thousands of small (~2") live minnows for Crappie every Spring.

lee s.
12-17-2006, 03:47 PM
Wellll,
OK Bill, where DO the biggest crappie in the state reside? Also how big and where from did the state record come. I certainly am curoius as to that too. :wink:
We have caught two bunches from 12"-13". One at the delta and one from L. Mendocino when the striper plant was better and they kept the little guys thinned out. These are just average compared to what we saw Sat. We have seen some huge crappie at L. Sonoma also. We have HEARD of huge crappie from Nicasio Dam near us, but in all our snoops there have never SEEN anything but dink crappie.
David, We were on a snoop Sat. It was danged cold standing on the docks, so we were VERY content to keep our hands in our pockets and BS a couple youngsters (ain't they ALL anymore? :wink: ) for awhile. The one kid named off quite a few places that he targeted crappie. We seemed to agree that Konocti was the place that we generally see the BEST general harvest of fish. VERY many, very few dinks, and generally a long spand of effective time. He seemed to fish'em a LOT.....I do not. He stated that he thought Florida strain Crappie were introduced several seasons back and that this was very instrumental to the present success of the fishers... again, I do not know.
He also stated that he enjoyed BS'ing fishing and remembered talking to a complete stranger for an hour one day. What a hoot THAT was....I looked at my watch and I had been there about 1 1/2hr and I had never seen him before either! :roll: :lol: :lol:
The fish seemed to be mostly 8'-12' deep and taking stuff presented almost stationary....minnow immi looking stuff. :wink:

David Lee
12-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Lee -

I can't imagine you chatterin' w/ strangers ....... :P :P :P

The biggest I've seen/caught were at Camp Far West - a few would fit on a standard-sized dinner plate .... with 2 inches of Crappie hangin' off BOTH sides :D

I don't think there's a whole lot you can do when they are on a cold-water/negative kind of bite . Perhaps , if under 10 feet , you might throw a nymph under an indicator . I'm sure a few would take a slow Clouser or something like that .

We need to do a Crappie-Fest , I miss eating those little buggers .

Darian
12-18-2006, 01:03 AM
Altho I've never fished there, two places I've heard that had very large and numerous Crappie are Black butte and Indian Valley Reservoirs. 8) 8) I've caught a few large Crappie at Rancho Seco using an all yellow or Chartruese Shad fly on a sink tip line. 8) 8) Lotsa fun and good eatin' too. :D :D

Dave4622
12-18-2006, 09:42 AM
If I may join in here, I spend some time lurking around the local (sac area) ponds and I have found my most productive fly to be a Matuka tied in a cinnamon or rust color. Once the fry are working the surface I catch them at about 8' using a sink tip. A side benefit is the bass will readily attack them also. As it cools down I fish weighted flies on a slow sink line and count down to 25-35. Not all big ones but still a bunch of fun close to home.
Dave

David Lee
12-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Great to have you here , Dave !

I think the last one I caught was out of Seco ..... a #8 Rust conehead Leech .

The 'close to home' part is the BEST !

Rickey Noel Mitchell
12-20-2006, 09:19 AM
Crappie fest?

I'm there.
This probably doesn't count but I've caught 12 and 13 inchers here in the center of California on private waters. Then again although it's been a while, but I've caught them that size in Pine Flat and Hensly too.

Tony Buzolich
12-20-2006, 09:43 AM
The California state record for black crappie came from New Hogan @ 4#-1oz. and the white crappie came from Clear Lake @ 4#-8oz.

Those would both fill a dinner plate.

White marabou pond smelt patterns work great.

TONY