PDA

View Full Version : KDM Rat!!!!

Darian
12-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Hmmmm,..... After reviewing the materials on:

http://www.flyfishnorcal.org/php-nuke/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=86

(the illustrated instructions for tying a KDM Rat) I was caught by the use of the weighted sheet on the bottom of the fly body.... :? :? Not with the material but with what it might take to cast something that heavy :?: :?:

Anyone around that has cast/used the rat, yet :?: :?: If so, what outfit (leader/line/rod combo) did you use and how many holes do you have in your anatomy from it :?: :?: :?:

lee s.
12-16-2006, 05:50 PM
We have tossed'em some. A grand bug indeed. Makes a presence on the mat.....something to be desired.
Our general LM rig is a 10wt tossing 12wt WF,11wt DT, and anything heavy SH's. Many people use conciderably less to launch'em.
....lee s.

sculpin
12-16-2006, 07:13 PM
That's an interesting fly for sure . Casting it would bring real meaning to the saying chuck and duck . Thanks for the link .

Mark

Anne Vitale
12-16-2006, 07:41 PM
KD should be the last word on this but when I fished with him last summer, he told me that instead of a lead plate he was now covering the bottom of the fly with a thick layer of epoxy. It doesn't take much to throw one, but keep in mind that you will be throwing the KD Rat on to a mat of junk :( :( . If something blows up on it, you will need all the rod and leader strength you got to pull the fish out of there [-o< . ...Anne

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-17-2006, 01:11 AM
KD was using a 7 weight rod with a WF10F line this summer for top water bass in the Delta.

Andy and I are using an 8 weight with a WF10F.

This is for the #2 swimming frog patterns.

Maybe they use bigger lines on the Rat?

Sturmer White
12-23-2006, 04:42 PM
After fishing with KD last spring and seeing his rat,I tied a couple and used UV Knot Sence with the blue light for the bottoms.
They seem to land OK but, I haven't given them a good test yet.
Mine also do not have the sex appeal of KD's
Anyway, If you aren't tying too many the blue light is quick and easy.

KD
12-25-2006, 10:04 PM
Just so no Myths get started...

I designed the first KDM rat. I first showed it to Mike McKenzie many years ago one day while we were fishing for LMB in Rock SL. Senor Hanley did a write-up on it in Caff many years ago and it was also referenced in my Delta Bass Tactics in the same mag.

After seeing it Mike did some tinkering with how he tied in the legs and he still does it that way. At the time Mike was also trying to come up with a bug that would serve the same purpose. I still tie my rats the same way i did the original. EXCEPT for the lead skid plate. I now use UV curable product to create the belly plate. This allows in field weight adjustment as required. With this technique you can vary the weight to none at all to as much as you want by applying more uv product. Sturmer is correct and I showed him the UV application.

The KDM name came from not having a "cool" name for the bug. It's simply KD(me)M(mike). Maybe if we would have called it the "cheese cutter" or "mat buster" if would get more respect. It does work quite well and until something else comes along it is the only pattern I'm aware of with the characteristics desireable for pulling fish off the mats. It is the flyfisherman's answer to the SnagProof Frog used by baitcasters.

I fish these things often and i don't have any body piercings from throwing them. As Anne stated they are not hard to cast. We use 7-9wt rods and standard bass lines to cast them. "Chuck and Duck" it isn't!

It's a very weedless bug weighted or unweighted and fishes in all cover.

Sturmer White
12-26-2006, 07:23 PM
Hey KD.
I can't wait till Spring to give your bugs a try. I have them with lead and without,just in case.
Sturm

Darian
12-27-2006, 10:00 AM
KD,.... Thanks for the comments. I'll be happy with the unweighted version.... Next question on this is:

The tying instructions on the website indicate that the hook shank is bent approximately 2/3 down the shank producing something similar to a bendback..... The degree bend appears to be fairly substantial. Wonder if the hook shank could be weekened by this bend :?: :?:

SOoooo,.... I've tied a version of the "Rat" using a jig hook. Has anyone else done this and cast/fish it :?: :?: . If so, would you care to share the results :?: :?: :?:

KD
12-27-2006, 10:44 AM
I have seen some tied on jig hooks. However, I do not feel they work as effectively on the slop. By design, the bug is supposed to land hook up. On the rare occasion it doesn't land hook up, by design, it will roll to a hook up position. The jig hook does not work as well as the eye of the hook is above the belly by a good margin. This forces the front of the fly down in the front when stripped. In essence it becomes front heavy. The fly is supposed to be butt heavy so the nose doesn't dig into the slop. The angle of the pull changes with a jig hook. You shouldn't be pulling slop off your fly every cast and it should turn hook up with a little tug..

Whatever works.

The Mustad 34011 3-4/O bends nicely and is plenty strong.

Mike McKenzie
12-27-2006, 03:09 PM
trying to use a jig hook with this pattern absolutely defeats the way it supposed to work. The jig hook (if it lets the fly land hook up) will pull the fly down into the mat instead of pulling it along on the surface of the mat. You'll end up with 5lb's of moss instead of fish! :) :)

I have never suffered a failure with bending a Mustad 34011 hook. They are nowhere near as brittle as a Tiemco or Owner, etc.

Mike