PDA

View Full Version : Do people use scents on any of their flies?

andanb
12-14-2006, 01:06 PM
I was listening to a radio show that talked about using scents on glo-bugs. This got me to wondering if this is a common practice on egg patterns or baitfish patterns. I've never heard of it and am curious if anyone does this.

Hairstacker
12-14-2006, 01:20 PM
Good question but for me, no, I've never added a scent to a fly before, other than spilled Scotch, coffee, stray cigar smoke, etc. :lol:

Darian
12-14-2006, 02:03 PM
I can't believe there's one person in the Scaramento area that hasn't heard of adding scent (or juicin') to their lures. :roll: :roll: The tackle stores are full of these items. Even WD-40 is used on Kwikfish or Flatfish lures for Salmon. 8) When gear fishing, I do use a scented attractant on lures. Even a slice of Sardine....

Altho I don't, as a general rule, juice my flies, I have been known to place some egg patterns in a jar full of Salmon/Steelhead Roe (overnight) to add a little natural attractant.... It all depends on how many fish I've been catching. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jay Murakoshi
12-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Ahhhhhhh, come on - admit it. I'm sure some of you have had slow days and accidently rubbed your fly across the fish too give the fly that added flavor.

I've been thinking about creating a scent ring. But does scent really work? I don't know. Many years ago, I tried using a scent on a fly and accidentally got the stuff on my hands. I smelled like a big licorice stick for a week. It was anise oil.

I have seen people put the stuff on their flys but the catch rate didn't go up

Jay

Matt Frey
12-14-2006, 03:41 PM
I wonder what a caddis, stonefly or mayfly would even smell like. :lol:

dtp916
12-14-2006, 03:43 PM
I wonder what a caddis, stonefly or mayfly would even smell like. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I've swallowed a few and have to say, to me at least, they are tasteless :lol:

bigtj
12-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Keep in mind that you aren't supposed to use scent in artificial-only water, it's against the regs.

I've used scent for steelhead and salmon on lures and flies and it never really seemed to give that much of an edge. It's messy, it stinks, and when you spill it on your clothes, it ruins them (don't ask me how I know that). Bottom line, it's not worth it and 99% of the time not even necessary.

jbird
12-14-2006, 05:30 PM
I scented a bug a couple years ago and caught 4 big winter steelhead in a row. I thought I found the magic 8) 8) I got all excited and started scenting my bugs. All I got was a really stinky flybox and no more success than unscented. I have heard of people going to town on steelhead by soaking their globugs in roe juice. I wonder if a crazy charlie dipped in shrimp oil would give you an edge with bones...or surfperch???

Jay

David Lee
12-14-2006, 08:08 PM
HELL , NO - I'M A SPORTSMAN !

David ( :P )

Bob Scheidt
12-14-2006, 08:11 PM
One October, fishin was tough on Crowley, so I tried some trout gravy on my flies. Didn't help. I saved that stuff for 9 months before I finally threw it away.

Bob Scheidt

Darian
12-14-2006, 08:23 PM
Not sure whether scents are effective or not but....

I once read in a report that the State of Washington had a ladder installed on one of the dams on the Columbia River. It was enclosed and, as part of the days counting duties, a F&G employee sat in a bosun's chair (with his/her feet in the water) suspended for the shift. In order to keep from getting too cold, this person would wear waders. They reported that when their wader covered feet were in the water, the fish moved to the sides of the ladder.... :? :? :?

I'm convinced that Catfish are attracted to scents and that all fish are repelled by certain scents. 8) 8)

Ed Wahl
12-14-2006, 09:50 PM
I used to let my bait emit it's own natural scents. That seemed to work well enough. :D. Scent on a fly, never,never, never. Unless it's the scents Mike mentioned, they're just good mojo. :)

sculpin
12-15-2006, 09:32 AM
I think the right scents work in the proper situations . When I was just gear fishing for salmon and steelhead I found the right egg cures could make the difference between a fantastic day or a poor day of fishing . Most guides are very protective of their cures for different baits and many have gone to washing their hands and clients hands before handling bait because it makes a difference for them. I have used some scents on plugs and feel it did make a difference. I also used to put salmon/steelhead eggs in a blender( caution don't let your wife catch you doing this ) and dip glow bugs in it for side drifting or bobber fishing and had great results , actually the same success as fishing roe but with far less mess .
Since I started fly fishing I haven't used any scents that I can remember but feel the right scents in the right place should work .

Mark

Jgoding
12-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Scents are for pansies..... Any real fisherman knows that chumming is much more effective and you don't need to scent your fly if you chum the water up real well first to get the feeding frenzy started....

Darian
12-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Now we're gettin' with it.... Chummin',.... MMM, MMM.... I'm down with the feedin' frenzy!!!.... Good stuff. 8) 8) 8)

alaskanfish
12-15-2006, 12:04 PM
Being the quasi purist (I like beads :roll: ) I think that a fly is all about representation and presentation. In Alaska, FFO or other no bait areas, juicing anything is against the rules... even lubricating any lure is against the rules.

That being said, I don't know if floatant counts as a scent???? Or even line dressing?????

If you are juicing the fly you are, in my opinion, using bait. :D

bigtj
12-15-2006, 01:22 PM
Alaskanfish,

Your opinion is pretty much the same as every fish and game regulation I've seen - scent = bait, regardless of effectiveness.

Ed Wahl
12-15-2006, 08:48 PM
You know, I thought this thread was going to go straight to gutter. I'm rather impressed with the polite tone so far. Little live bait and chummin cracks with no hostility, wow. I'd have to go back to school to be as classy as you guys.

PaulC
12-15-2006, 10:11 PM
Hey Jay,
Why dip your flies for surfperch when you can smoke them first.
http://www.garybulla.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1689#pid8569
-Paul

Hairstacker
12-15-2006, 10:17 PM
Hmmm. . ., looks like he tied the nickel dumbbell eyes on, built up some thread behind the eyes, then tied it off like a Clouser, leaving the rest of the shank bare to be dressed on the water. . . . :lol:

OregonSalmon
12-17-2006, 12:07 PM
A day a few thousand years ago fishing the Mad River spit Skoal on my fly. The next cast I hooked a friggin' rocket ship that broke me off before I could even whiz my waders. Surprised me so badly I swallowed my chew and spent the next twenty minutes being made the butt of many jokes bent over on the bank. Needless to say, that technique was a one hit wonder.

O.K...I didn't swallow my chew but I did hook a monster on the first cast I tried that.

Mike O
12-20-2006, 10:12 AM
Make yourself a million bucks the easy way....a line of fly floatants made with scent! Make that hopper pattern actually leave a trail of that tobacco juice they spit out. That cripple mayfly, sure, use our mayfly gut scent recipe!! You want the big one? Try our Salmonfly scent, complete with the orange stain!!

TheOriginalBadBob
12-21-2006, 05:12 PM
You guys have to be Kidding? Putting scent on your flies?......I bet you guys use Bead Heads and Indicators also.......Oh, and Bob and cannot beleive you actually tried this........
BadBob

Darian
12-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Makes scents to me.... :lol: :lol:

I'm curious about your name....(Bob) :? :? How do we know you're the original bad Bob :?: :?: Do you spell your name different than other Bob's :?: :?: If I reverse the spelling, I still come up with Bob. :? :? :?

Anyway, Merry Christmas and welcome to Kiene's BB community and all the levity.... 8) 8) :D :D

SteelieD
12-21-2006, 08:03 PM
Never done it. Just seems wrong. I'm not exactly sure why, but it just does.