PDA

View Full Version : Die

Jay Murakoshi
12-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Looking for a die? No, I didn't say looking to die..
Well anyway, I looking for a die cutter, something like the crease fly cutter except the one I need will have to cut thin acrylic plastic. I was talking to KD and he mentioned steel ruler dies. I've been looking for a place who makes them or just how the heck I find a shop.

I'm trying to make my life easier by finding this jig, instead of cutting my diving bills for my crank baits by hand. I have the crease fly cutter. It cuts foam real easy but won't handle the acrylic. I need something that I'll be able to hammer or maybe just take my sheet of acrylic plastic and have two million made. I have three different styles of bills, different lengths, different shapes and widths. I'm also in dicussion with a company that might want to pick up the bass bugs, not sure yet.

So, does anyone know of a shop that would make a steel ruler die

Thanks

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
12-12-2006, 07:13 PM
WHAT !!!!?????

No machinists out there who can help out a dizzy fly tyer? Dang, I thought we had all kinds of tradesmen out there. You can't all be fishermen - can you???? :(

This is urgent. I've got a full 2007 calendar schedule and hope to get at least 50% of the things started, or finished. Besides doing Baja, I'm focusing back on to where most of this started for me. Bass-a-holic.
or warm water

I'm at one of the local shops about every other day looking at and into some of the lures that can be converted to FF. The guys at the shop think I've gone off the deep end but ..............

But I need to find a shop that will make me a die or make a die too cut out the diving bills. I just got an order from a Florida fly shop that wanted 6 dozen hairy crank baits. Too many irons in the fire but nothing unusual.

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jay

mikenewman
12-12-2006, 07:33 PM
Jay

Can't help with the die but have you seen these:

http://www.flylipps.com/index.html

Mike

Jay Murakoshi
12-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Mike,

I've have a few of those but they don't work like the acrylic bills. As soon as I get someone to make them, I might market them. They work

Jay

sculpin
12-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Jay
Try posting on the general board , perhaps you will get more response .

Mark

nightgoat
12-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Hey Jay,

There's a company in Sac called Tap Plastics. I used to work for a place that got custom acrylic displays from them. They might be able to help you out...

Jay Murakoshi
12-12-2006, 09:04 PM
That's where I bought the sheets of acrylic but they don't carry/make any dies. They told me that a machinist could make one or a set. I need something to mass produce

Thanks

Jay

Darian
12-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Hi Jay,....Considering that you want to mass produce these "lips", you might want to design something that will accommodate stamping out more than one at a time (maybe you already have :? :? ).

I had a friend who was a commercial artist and who wanted to reproduce a textured surface over a large area of heavy wallpaper. His solution was to make/use an engraved, heavy metal roll that was about 3' in length and 6" in diameter. This roll was suspended on an axle on one end of his workbench where he could support/move the material between the roll and the bench surface with enough pressure to emboss it.

Assuming the material is not too thick, with some modification, a roll could be made/used to cut the acrylic; producing lotsa lips at one time. 8) 8) 8)

Well,..... It's just a thought..... :roll: :roll:

Jay Murakoshi
12-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Darian,

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Something to stamp out at least 100 at a time from my sheet of acrylic. Trying to find a company that will do this is the problem. I know they are out there but just have to locate one. I've checked the Fresno area but no luck.

I want to get this project completed before I head down to baja. I have some 2/0 hair bugs tied up for the roosters and dorado. We'll see how long or how many fish they last.

You will be receiving an email regarding baja sometime this week. Instead of buying two rolls of stamps everytime I need to inform clients, I'm using the email system

Still looking for a die

jay

PaulC
12-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Hey Jay,
One thing you could do is take the sheet of material to a sheet metal shop with a stamping press. They would make the die and stamp out however many gazillion of these things you need.
Usually there is a cadjockey in house which can translate a hand sketch, etc into an actual part.
They could probably also work with you to provide a die in a handheld shape. Depending on quantities, it may be worth just having them pump it out for you.

Here is one link with vendors:
http://www.metalstampingdies.com/

Here's a stamping shop in Fresno:
http://www.macraesbluebook.com/search/company.cfm?company=555082

If you have any technical related questions to stuff they are relaying to you, feel free to email me at paul_t_cronin at yahoo dot com
There may be some nuiances with stamping acrylic. I've only typically stamped titanium, steel and some other exotic metals.

I would highly suggest them making a very short run to make sure you like what you see before mass production.

Hope that helps,
Paul

Jay Murakoshi
12-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Paul,

Thanks for the info. I'll take a drive to the shop and try to explain what I want.

Jay

PaulC
12-13-2006, 07:52 PM
Hey Jay,
No problemo man. Let me know if they don't work out.
-Paul

Jay Murakoshi
12-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Hey Paul,

Went to the shop here in Fresno. talked to the guy and told him what I'm looking for. He brought out a bunch of dies already made up. Something what I'm looking for but not the finished product. For them to make the die would be roughly $150.00 to $200.00. Then the cost to stamp out the product. It's roughly 25 cents per item. At little costly for such a small item but I don't feel like cutting them.

With their die, I would still need to cut a little but the round part of the bill would be cut even.

I guess they use a press to stamp out the items. I'm having them cut 100 to start with, just to see how much work I will have to do just to finish them.

Thanks for the inquiry

Jay

KD
12-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Jay, give this company a call Valmark industries(livermore 925-960 9900)

They can produce these by laser cut. and possibly by steel rule die depending on the thickness. They would probably run them "multiple up"(many pieces to a sheet). They could also screenprint your ol' mug on these things prior to cutting too!:-)))

you could have them print any image onto these bills/lips....could be cool. These guys can do it all. They have the latest greatest technology for thin plastic overlay manufacture. Top shop. Ask for Victor Green and mention I referred you. You might need to run a million of them though:-))

There are some graphics shops in Fresno...look under decals, signage,etc. they might have the equipment.

Jay Murakoshi
12-30-2006, 12:54 PM
KD,

I just picked up 400 bills that I had made. They had a die there that was perfect for what I needed. These little plastic bills cost me 25 cents each (I thought it was a little high) but now, I don't have to sit here and cut and trim with scissors. I might take some to the show and sell them for what it cost me to have them made.

I will check into that company you recommended. I think a bill with teeth on it would be cool. Or a bill with a silver holographic color. I'll also check here in Fresno.

Thanks and Happy New Year

Jay

major257
01-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Jay,
I don't know what you have found but there is a company in Buffalo NY called Keystone Tool and Die company. I don't have the number but look them up online. The guy you want to talk to is Gary Fitch. He and they can make anything out of plastic and the tools to work with it.

Michael Baker
01-22-2007, 09:27 AM
Hi Jay, check with a print shop and ask who makes their dies. Don't know if they would be heavy enough or cost but another option to check out.

Mike

Jay Murakoshi
01-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Mike,

I found a die cutter who can make the diving bills. But now, I want to reshape some of the bills, so I might end up having a custom die made.
There not cheap but it does save time.

Thanks

Jay