PDA

View Full Version : Xmas Reader

Digger
12-11-2006, 08:04 PM
I'm looking for a book to give as a retirement/xmas present.
He doesn't FF yet, but says he will start.

Any recommendations of a good book that isn't overly technical, but captures the essence of FF, with maybe some beautiful photography would be appreciated. Should be slighted more towards freshwater.

Thanks

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-11-2006, 10:03 PM
I really like the book 'LL Bean Guide to Fly Fishing' by Dave Whitlock.

For a DVD I like 'Beginnings' by Mel Kreiger or 'Anatomy of Trout Stream' by Rick Heffle.

Darian
12-11-2006, 10:26 PM
As an option for your consideration, I'd get two books. If you think about it, you've crossed glossy pictures up with the learning side of things. I've not seen too many books that do both, well. If you want a book that won't scare a newbie with all of the mysticysm or technicalities about FF, then you might consider getting the Curtis Creek Manifesto. Easy read with graphics include line drawings. The text and the drawings are accurate. Then buy a table top book for the photo's.... Something like, The Fifty Best Places to Fly Fish Before You Die. 8) 8)

Hairstacker
12-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Now why would anyone want to consider getting him anything other than William G. Tapply's "Bass Bug Fishing"? (Just kidding! That one should be the 2nd book you get him. :D )

I would suggest, "The L. L. Bean Ultimate Book of Fly Fishing" by Macauley Lord, Dick Talleur, & Dave Whitlock.

Nip Hadlock
12-12-2006, 09:49 AM
You might consider these titles:

"A Thread Runs Through It: How Bill Kiene Changed the Fly Fishing Dialogue"

or:

"One More to Hand" by MSP

or:

"Photoshop Your Way to Bigger, Brighter Fish" by Adam

or:

"Around the World In an Inflatable Kayak" by Hairstacker

or:

"Places I've Fished, (Volumes I through XI)" by Darian

or:

"Drinkin', Driftin' and Diggin': Life in the PNW" by Oregon Salmon

or:

"Talking Trash: The 50 FF Places We've Got to Clean Up Before We Die" by Ed Wahl

or:

"Earning Your Stripes: On fishing and Life" by David Lee

or:

"Every FF Boy in America Wishes He Were Me: The Coffee Table Picture Edition" by Gordon

or:

" Dozens More Fly Fishers I've Never Met But Also Love to Read" by Nip Hadlock

Honestly, the best reading you could give your friend to get them hooked, (barblessly of course :evil: ), is right on this board. Send the URL or if you must...get them a laptop!

MSP
12-12-2006, 10:07 AM
Well done Nip. You're right, there is some good reading right here on this board! Who needs a book :?:

Your list of titles are great, I had to chuckle at every one of them :nod:

JerryInLodi
12-12-2006, 01:09 PM
The Curtis Creek Manifesto is still being published! Unbelievable! It must be in its hundredths printing. Still a GREAT book for beginners!

When I got "hooked" on fly fishing I think I read about a hundred books since I could still be, "on the stream" even when at home. Some are on the shelf and many more were found in the library. It was interesting to read the older books written in the 50's and compare them to where flyfishing has moved on to.

Hairstacker
12-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Nip, that was excellent! Some of those just crack me up. :lol:

Nip Hadlock
12-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Mike,
You're too kind...I was just thumbing through your sequel:

"Catch and Deflate: When a Size 2 Barbless Goes Bad" :D

Hairstacker
12-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Well, as it turns out, my current kayak does seem to have a slow leak somewhere. . . . :? :lol:

Nip Hadlock
12-12-2006, 01:32 PM
But seriously...

I like the "Orvis Fly Fishing Guide" as a beginner's reference...just click on the link above and Kiene's get's a bump too!

David Lee
12-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Well done , Nip !!

It'd be funnier if they were not so perfect .......

BTW , next time you're down here -BBQ/Beers/fishing is on me :evil:

David :D