PDA

View Full Version : Old time photos

OregonSalmon
12-10-2006, 07:20 PM
Bill,
You posted that wonderful picture of Henry and his friends which made me think there are thousands of great old pictures out there that need to be preserved. The great ones taken in the good old days when you could string a zillion big fish on an old growth redwood, drink a couple of bottles of whisky, go home, and if the wife didn't clean them you could legally beat the crap out of her. Plus the dog wasn't the family pet, it was a critter who flushed and fetched the birds. O.K., I'm exageratting again but not on the preservation of pictures of 'dem good ol' days.
You still have some ol' critters wandering into the shop. Ask them if they have some favorite photos for you to preserve and share with us 'yungins. Those pictures of the day when fish were plentiful and Cuban cigars were legal are priceless. Will give us all a retrospect of damn good fishing and whisky induced smiles at the end of the day.
Your new task Billy. The weight of the world is now upon your shoulders. The ball is in your court. The rod is in your hand and there is a river to fish. The shovel is in your hands and a beach to dig.......damn I'm a longwinded sum-beech.

Ed Wahl
12-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Aha! I knew it. You are a sentimental ole softie aren't you. Actually I think that's a grand idea. I did that with some old family photos recently, scanning them into digital at least halts the age degradation. Wow, there's some good shots to be had with that last line but I'm not gonna touch 'em. How 'bout it Bill?

OregonSalmon
12-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Ed,
You can touch that last line all you want. Hell, I've known I'm an obnoxious bastard since I was 4!!! My mother summed me up best one summer when I was planting the garden. I was doing the regular things, digging, sweating, being silly, her the butt of the vast majority of my jokes and she said to me with the oddest grin I have ever seen: "Son, you really like to entertain yourself don't you?". With a wide grin I responded "Yes mother I do".

Get your rear up here in Feb/Mar Ed and we will show you what a steelhead really looks like. It is more than 106 miles though it isn't when you are here. My logic and wit seem only to have flaws from others, but never to me. In the mirror, my perfection seems to be obvious. My new project is to somehow live in a rainforest, but without so much rain. It's a biggy.

In all seriousness, get that arm up here in a couple of months. It is a hell of a spot and I have some course knowledge and some boots on the ground that I trust. North is always a good direction....well until you hit the Pole and you have to go south again.

Ed Wahl
12-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Man you have no idea just how jealous I am of where you live. I know you're in Oregon, on the coast, but where? The arm just stopped hurting the other day so it'll be a couple months before I'm actually fishing again. First time in my life I couldn't fish, makes me take it real seriously. I've been scaring the hell out of the local mountain quail population, they have no idea what that loud noise is when they flush. A loud boom accompanied by loud swearing, dog's not sure what to make of it either. If neither one of us die or get seriously p.o.'d I'd like to take you up on that sometime later in the year. Ed

jbird
12-10-2006, 09:11 PM
I am ejoying this exchange immensly :D You two could talk all day and I would be content to sit back and listen. :D :D

Jay

OregonSalmon
12-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Jbird,
Being a bleeding heart Liberal I feel for Ed. Grew up in Sacto and not only do I not miss the place but I'm sueing my remaining parent for child abuse just for incarcerating me in such a town. I want 31 years of reperations and the knowledge of exactly day which I was born on. There was always a dispute between the parents, my father sticking to June 30'th and my mother to June 29'th, the birth certificate is unclear. When I approached my sainted mother on this she replied "how come you don't know...you were there". Took me seven and a half years to free my addled brain to have to respond to that question. I channeled my anger toward shellfish and crabs and all sorts of fish in seeking out peace. They were tough times but I ate well.

Ed,
Being the incredibly smart idoit I am who has no moral problem with stealing another's idea I have solved your arm condition: drift boat, diver on a conventional rod, and a fly. My buddy Garvie came up with this notion and I think it might be really good. The notion of keeping a fly right where you want with regulating the depth sounds pretty good to me. Lurh Jensen is going to put out a contract on me if this technique works.

There is always a solution to a fishing problem at least on the chalkboard.