PDA

View Full Version : Review of Items for Spinning/Stacking Deer Hair

Hairstacker
12-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Hi! Since I couldn't get to the water today, I decided to tie up some deer hair bugs and, in the process, test a couple of recently acquired products to see how well they worked:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/gelspun.jpg

The 1st item on the left is simply a flea comb I noticed and bought while walking my puppy through the aisles of the local PetsMart. (Like most fly tiers, I'm constantly on the lookout for useful tying items NO MATTER WHERE I am. :lol: ). As you know, when you spin/stack deer hair, you want to comb out any of the fuzzy hair that remains after you cut the hair off the hide -- thus, the need for some type of comb. This comb was less than $2 and sports two different-sized sets of teeth on each side. Its plastic is just a tad flexible so its teeth are not inclined to break like many of the eye brow combs and what-not I've bought in the past from the cosmetics sections of various stores. It works GREAT and even has a perfectly-sized hole in it should you want to attach it to your vise stem. :D

The 2nd item on the right is a spool of Wapsi UTC 200 denier gelspun that I picked up last time I was at Kiene's Fly Shop. This stuff is the real reason for this post. I had been using Orvis G thread since I started tying with deer hair and, for the most part, it has worked well. However, I had always wished it was a little stronger and that it didn't fray or catch on itself as much as it does at times. (Don't you hate it when you go to do a whip finish and the thread catches on itself and/or starts fraying? :x ](*,) )

Anyway, at the last fly tying/BS session at the shop, I embarrassed myself by breaking my Orvis G thread 3 times while tying an ill-fated and ultimately doomed bass bug. The final straw for that bug was when I went to trim it and sliced the thread that held it together. It wasn't that I had trimmed too closedly. Rather, on one of the hair bunches, the thread had jammed itself so that I hadn't snugged it up as tightly as I had thought. This left a small thread loop that was justing waiting for the sharp edge of the razor blade. After brooding about it, I vowed to see if there's a better thread out there.

Well, today I decided to try this GSP thread and found it resolved everything I didn't like about the Orvis G thread. First of all, it is REALLY strong at 16lbs and, thus, I found I can really crank down on it without fear of breaking the thread. Also, its tendency to lay flat like flat-waxed nylon kept me from cutting through ANY of the hair bundles despite how hard I cranked down on it. Secondly, it is very slick. At first I wasn't sure I liked that slickness, but ultimately concluded it's one of its very best features. First of all, it spins and stacks deer hair like a charm. Just as importantly, this slickness keeps the thread from catching itself and/or fraying, as I mentioned before, and I also found it slides past hairs rather than inadvertently matting them down when you're doing thread wraps around the hair to snug it down. Well, I am absolutely sold on this thread and will convert all of my deerhair spinning/stacking threads over to this stuff. Bottom-line, it worked better in ALL respects than the thread I was using and was an absolute pleasure to use. I now no longer have to worry about or fight with my thread, and I fully expect to tie better bugs because of it. Kiene's sells it in 3 different-sized deniers, and I found the 200 denier (I think Kiene's label on the bin identifies it as 180 denier) perfect for this purpose. Give it a try yourself, I think you will REALLY like it too.

Ed Wahl
12-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Thanks Mike, your shortening the learning curve for the rest of us. Being a multiple dog owner I'm at those big pet supply stores quite a bit. Think I'll check out those flea combs. Let me know when you find a fly tying application for flea drops okay? Years ago I tied up a couple streamers from my dogs hair. Just black and tan from a Gordon Setter, but it did catch a few smallies in the North Fork. Ed

jbird
12-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Those flea combs are exactly what I use for tying EP streamers. Once I tie it, I give it a thurough combing before the haircut. They are also great to keep in your vest to comb the fly out after its been chewed on. They also work for fluffing up yarn indicators.

Jay

Ed Wahl
12-10-2006, 06:18 PM
And you can comb out your fleas too. :D

Jay Murakoshi
12-10-2006, 08:31 PM
Hairstacker,

Two great items for tying deer hair flies. A comment on the GSP, even though you haven't cut through any stacks yet. it will happen. While I was back in Florida demostrating the tying of the Hairy Crank Bait, I pulled hard on the stacked stack and cut right down to the hook shank and that wasn't even with alot of down pull pressure. I still use the thread but I'm also using the Size A Nymo thread.

"It spins and stacks hair like a charm".... Hey, that's not the thread doing that, it's you. You're just getting better. I have spun so much hair this past month, my carpet looks like a clip joint. I think I have made over 150 Hairy Crank Bait flies now. I also have a wide variety of color, sizes and lenghts of Dalbergs.

I hope to do a deer hair demo at the shop in the near future. I have guys back in Florida sending me photo's of their first attempts at tying the hairy crank baits.

Enough said. Happy spinning

Jay